Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-26 10:41:20

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

someone actually explains their eggcorn "beckon call"

Documentation! From a primary source!

In the online advice column “Annie’s Mailbox” by Kathy Mithcell and Marcy Sugar, on Creators.com, a reader explains it all (his contention: “beck and call” is the eggcorn, though of course he doesn’t use that term):

http://www.creators.com/lifestylefeatur … 06-22.html
———-
Dear Annie: You recently used the term “beck and call.” I’ve heard this expression all my life and I think everyone is getting it wrong in written form.

Here’s my crackpot theory (I have a lot of those): The correct expression should be “beckon call.” You call me to you, by beckoning, and I will rush to your service. That makes sense. But “beck and call”? Seriously, I don’t think “beck” is even a word.

This may not rank with the great toilet paper debate, but it’s one of those niggling little language things that drive me nuts. — Daniel

Dear Daniel: You’re not too far off. “Beck” is actually a shortened form of “beckon.” But the term is indeed “beck and call,” and the word “beck” means a silent gesture such as a nod or wave. The phrase dates to the late 19th century. We hope you are feeling calmer now.
————————

#2 2007-06-28 20:11:03

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: someone actually explains their eggcorn "beckon call"

Okay, now I’m confused. I spent my whole childhood and adolesence saying “beck and call” and changed to “beckon call” as a maturing adult trying to clean mistakes from my language. I had no idea what a beck was, but I knew what beckon was. Now it appears beck was right all along, but I would like some more confirmation from my fellow eggcornites if I’m going to keep changing.

#3 2007-06-29 12:54:53

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

it is “beck”

there’s a long history in English of idiomatic phrases in which two synonyms or near synonyms are used.

beck and call

kit and kaboodle

spit and image (“spit” being a word that meant “likeness”)—this one morphed into “spitting image” through folk etymology

ways and means

#4 2007-06-30 18:53:19

booboo
Eggcornista

Yeah, my wife just explained to me what an idiot I’ve been. Somehow, I was caught up with the countless hoardes of unsuspecting eggcorn carriers and I fear I may have already infected others. I’m better now, but it may be too late for them.

#5 2007-07-06 18:26:50

Day Vid

TootsNYC wrote:

there’s a long history in English of idiomatic phrases in which two synonyms or near synonyms are used.
beck and call, ..., ways and means

whys and wherefores

#6 2011-10-30 03:45:12

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

In today’s Daily Mail:

What a pity that reporters do not know how to write ‘beckon call’, rather than ‘beck and call’.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#7 2011-10-30 11:09:48

burred
Eggcornista

I like booboo’s “hoarde”: either a WTFT or a portmanteau.

Board footer