Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-11-19 08:50:14

David Bird
Eggcornista

"pissary" for pessary

The most interesting case came in several years ago. She was an extremely elderly backwoodsy lady who said that she has “worms coming from her privates.” I took her right back to a pelvic room and grabbed the surgeon to go in and check this out. He could not place the speculum, so we had to do a visual, and sure enough, there were some kind of long things but they broke off in the DR’s hand. Bottom line, she had forgotten a vital fact. She has prolapse of the uterus, and had used a potatoe as a pissery. It was in a dark warm place and grew! It was not too easy getting it out either!!!!!!
http://www.starbacks.ca/Paris/Metro/2012/er.html

An amazing case of Muphry’s Law. This paragraph is from a nurse’s list of funny eggcorny mistakes her patients have made. But you might have been as puzzled as I was about using a potato as a pissery. I found out that a pessary is a tampon or some sort of medical device inserted to support falling organs. Pessaries are also used for incontinence.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-11-19 19:25:14)

#2 2011-11-20 01:37:45

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "pissary" for pessary

Thank you (?) for that story. I’ll be back as soon as I’ve mopped up my lunch.

“Pessary” is new to me. The word seems to come from a Latin term for a plug. One use of a pessary is to prevent urine leakage, so “pissary” would be an appropriate substitution (though “antipissary” would make more sense).

“Pissary” for “pessary” is well-established on the web. Here’s someone who confesses to the eggcorn:

Blog entry “Once we had the right size pessary inserted (which I keep thinking of as a “ pissary ”), Healthy Nurse asked me what sort of exercises make me leak. ”

Last edited by kem (2014-07-18 19:06:49)

Board footer