Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-12-11 14:27:57

burred
Eggcornista

"help meat" for helpmeet

A new Language Log post expands on the eggcorn helpmate for the biblical helpmeet. It doesn’t take much imagination to see where this could go next. Kind of unfortunate when you find it used in expositions of a woman’s traditional role. I’ve left out the ones that make a link to Adam’s rib.

Ways to be a help meat to your husband
Preaching for the ladies

By the same token the wife has the distinct obligation of being a help-meat to her husband.
Relationship advice

It’s important to keep “roles” in the marriage: husband – is a head an a provider; wife – is a help-meat to her husband.
Stand by your man

Fits like a glove when food is the subject. I’m not sure about the last one – might be a vegetarian menu?

Dietary fibers promote healthy digestive systems. We are always looking for a help meat to our digestive problems.
Health advice

Araya’s doing a wonderful job without a help meat to bring out wonderful buffet at a low price of $9.89 (tax included).
Restaurant review

Edit: It’s hard to believe that the perps might verily consider the distaff partner as meat, but who knows. Flesh of my flesh? Other possibilities might include “the one who helps with the cooking”? A source of sustenance? I suspect these are too literal still. More hits:

You. My Wife, who I don’t yet know…you, my helpmeat…
Blog

I had not been long matured in the thought that I ought to marry, when there was an upcast from Providence, showing a good will towards mine intent. Going now and then on the Sunday to take a dish of tea with James Hobart and his helpmeat, for she was truly that, it fell out one night that a decent woman of the widow gender not too well stricken in years for me also was there at her tea.
Autobiographical epistle, 1836

the widow gender? not too well stricken in years?

Last edited by burred (2011-12-11 20:02:31)

Board footer