Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-09-14 18:09:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

A Lehman moment

(Since this is the section for things that aren’t eggcorns … it just caught my eye:)

Dan Hannan blogs: “Europe’s banks are staring at a Lehman moment. This is the tempest long foretold, slow to make head but sure to hold.”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2011-12-22 22:22:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: A Lehman moment

What do you make of “slow to make head”? A blend of headway and the storm clouds coming to a (thunder)head? And “sure to hold”? I think I’m having a senior’s moment because this poetic sentence seems to hold meaning that I can’t extract.

#3 2011-12-22 23:37:28

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: A Lehman moment

I remember pondering the same lines when David T first posted this. “Make head” is a phrase I’ve only seen in 19th C stuff outside of this Kipling poem, and I think it means “to advance, make progress,” though I couldn’t quickly confirm that. I think “hold” here means to be maintained, and both of those interpretations fit with the larger context of the poem—which refers to a tempest that’s been long a-brewing and won’t dissipate quickly.

Board footer