Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-01-09 21:36:18

David Bird
Eggcornista

"loungerie" for lingerie

‘Lingerie’ is taken from a French word for a linen shop or place to store fine clothes. It became associated with the clothes themselves – at least in the 19th c. English imagination. In Paris, lingerie is pronounced something like “lanzhree” if you go nasal on the n. I pronounce it something like “lonjerée”, not far off from laundry. That common pronunciation surely contributed to lingerie’s reinvention as loungerie, dainty garments to lounge around in, provocatively.

Sharing fantasies Erotic, that’s an interesting word. Seems to describe a combination of love, lust, and passion. Sounds like it would involve passionate kisses, pulling hair, hot tubs, sexy loungerie, bikinis

Mingle city Hello, I’m new to the group, but not to the topic. I love sexy loungerie.

Relationship advice We have toys, I have sexy loungerie, I feel like I am pretty attractive

Avoirdupois forum The gift certificate, he assumed I would want VS perfume, but I’m going to save it to use for some sexy loungerie when I feel thin enough to wear that again

Last edited by David Bird (2016-01-03 17:57:09)

#2 2012-01-10 06:28:03

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "loungerie" for lingerie

A fine find, David, and I fear I feel a faint fuzziness forming; lingering, languorous, louche perhaps… Sorry, Kem.

#3 2016-01-03 18:26:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

Peter Forster wrote:

I feel a faint fuzziness forming; lingering, languorous, louche perhaps

Pure textual stimulation along the lines of Joyce’s description of The Inferno: the lingerous longerous book of the dark. I found no loucherie (in the form of clothing) out there, but there are hits for languerie. It’s unlikely to be more than an odd mispelling, but we might linger over it.

Obviously I will go to victoria secret and look at their languerie and yoga pants etc.
http://realworldofellen.blogspot.ca/2014/01/london.html

I made a gijinka of Carbuncle so that I could put some languerie on him..
http://mindless-corporation.deviantart. … -487226774

They range from the most showy prom style dresses to oversized can-can doll/ballet recital poofiness (is that a word?) to what might possibly be the most slutty languerie-style “dresses” I have ever seen.
http://lifeisinexplicable.blogspot.ca/2 … sanaa.html

make sure that night you bust out your sexy languerie & put on suave music.
https://qc.answers.yahoo.com/question/i … 201AAyuZDj

#4 2018-07-19 10:11:10

David Bird
Eggcornista

r/boneappletea has other suggestive ways to twist the common tongue. I liked launch array for lingerie. The peignoir that launched a thousand ships.

I found another launch array ready for blastoff:

But why not get comfortable and all arrayed in your lounge array:

I like girls from around the way
In tight jeans or miniskirts or some lounge array
rap lyrics

#5 2018-07-31 04:07:49

JChance

Couldn’t help noticing, in the report from Sanaa back on the 2016 post, a repeated use of “sequence” for “sequin(s)”. Figure it’s more of an ordinary malaprop (kind of stretching to think that has to do with them usually being arranged in rows), but still in our general bailiwick.

#6 2018-07-31 10:35:34

David Bird
Eggcornista

Great find, JChance. I overlooked that gem. Here’s the sequence in question:

Let’s start by saying the dresses are almost all very bright colors and mostly covered in some manner of sparkle – sequence, glitter, etc. Then imagine stores (mostly little shops) overflowing with dresses that are mostly over-the-top tacky. They range from the most showy prom style dresses to oversized can-can doll/ballet recital poofines (is that a word?) to what might possibly be the most slutty languerie-style “dresses” I have ever seen. [...] I bought a little black sequenced dress with a gigantic gold flower sequence pattern, and gold stelletto heels with straps that wrap halfway up my legs.
Travel blog

Looks like a nice eggcorn to me.

#7 2018-08-01 14:23:55

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird quoted:

...I bought a little black sequenced dress with a gigantic gold flower sequence pattern, and gold stelletto heels with straps that wrap halfway up my legs.
Travel blog

Stelletto heels! Stella, you look absolutely stellar in your stelletto heels, like a star! Seems like it could be an eggcorn for some.

Women’s stelleto heels!
Women’s stelleto high heels size 6 bebe
product description

What heels are best to dance in?
eight inch stelleto heels.
Q&A site

She is a jazzy dresser with her 4” stelleto heels and not only on point in her fashion but is a mom herself of little ones.
physician review

Some years ago I met a lady who’d had a foot specifically made so she could wear stelleto heels.
lost limb forum

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2018-08-01 23:52:27)

#8 2018-08-01 19:38:43

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Didn’t find any clearly inadvertent steeletto heels, despite a couple of eggcornish motivations for them I could think of, or any stealetto heels at all. There seemed to be a good many steelletos, but I got weary of wading through them, and all I saw might have been intentional.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#9 2018-08-30 08:07:08

kem
Eggcornista

“Sequence” for “sequins.” How have we gotten this far and not noticed this classic eggcorn?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer