Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-01-11 12:03:08

tannerpittman

Paul bearer - pallbearer

I came across this when an actual attorney used it in an email to me. The egg-corniness of it is very satisfying. Users must have in mind a term that connotes carrying a man named Paul or perhaps that St. Paul is somehow associated with the process.

Examples

“Where did the paul bearer(casket carrier) come from? How did it ever get its name and why? What’s the history behind it?”

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 703AA19NYv

I’ve been asked to be a Paul Bearer at a funeral on Saturday…where do I get an urn?
I’ve been asked to be a Paul Bearer at a funeral on Saturday…where do I get an urn? Since I’ve been asked to be a Paul Bearer on Friday, I’m very unfamiliar with the process…the only thing I do know is that the Paul Bearer carries an urn around leading the way for the procession.

http://www.vitaladvice.com/question/200 … 221AARqH2B

Note

The internet appears to be loaded with references to a professional wrestling character, whose stage name was a properly tongue-in-cheek use of “Paul Bearer.”

#2 2012-01-15 12:24:18

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Paul bearer - pallbearer

Very nice one to start the new year, Tanner. The connection to St. Paul provides proper solemnity. Unlike the few cases of those called upon to be “ball bearers.” One hopes that the ball bearers smooth the passage into the next life, and that they needn’t be male.

A few years ago my Uncle died and his daughter asked my brother to be a ball-bearer (we have a very small family) – My brother works for the US Postal Service. He asked them for leave to be a ball bearer at his Uncle’s funeral. They told him he had to produce a DEATH CERTIFICATE, not the newspaper obit. Like my brother was going to ask our cousin for their father’s death certificate to be a ball bearer!
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/ot/1 … st17230999

#3 2012-01-17 06:17:23

burred
Eggcornista

Ball bearing led to the following cute, poignant googlenonce.

he glances over to see her mother bawling in the arms of her husband. He cries more. Next they all file out and make their way to the cemetery. He was asked to be a bawl bearer. Even harder for him it was. To have to carry her to her resting place. But he did it strong.
You’ll miss me when I’m gone – Teen Ink online fic

It’s the roundtripper for ball one’s eyes out

#4 2012-01-18 09:47:04

David Bird
Eggcornista

This one is a cross between Paul bearer and Juan’s four bears.

Reminiscing ‘n the ‘hood I didn’t go to my Grandma Guthries either and i was supposed to be one of the Paul Bears in her will but my Father and sister went

Here are some connected confusions.

Car rally And the Gumball 3000 is underway. Here’s raw footage from the start in Paul Mall, London, yesterday.

Fanfic I got up and ran stiffly after the foal that had run pall mall down the path to the stables.

#5 2012-01-18 14:28:51

burred
Eggcornista

Here’s an eggcorn based on the second element in pall bearer.

Genealogy Buried on North side of Cemetary. His stone has William Edward on it. [...] Charles Deen was a pallburier.

Mom’s forum My son is going to be a pallburier on tueday.

Only two hits in this combined form. About 6 for “pall burier”.

A search for “Paul Burier” ran into interference from wrestling fans confused about the moniker of ‘Paul Bearer’. Hmm, does that fit neatly into any category of Kem’s four-corner map?

Last edited by burred (2012-01-18 14:29:37)

#6 2012-01-19 03:31:05

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

A further variant describes the task quite accurately – the coffin is pulled from the hearse before being borne onward…

“I’m not worried about you. I’m just worried about having to fit in to my busy day 6 pullbearers with chronic back problems!” ...

– you would think that having been a pullbearer at his mates funeral would have been a bit of a wake up call….

Board footer