Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-01-21 02:58:45

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Smelling Salts"

These are/were little bottles containing ammonia. You see them in films being waved under the noses of people who feel faint.

http://faqgo.com/2008/08/16/what-are-smelling-salts/

I don’t think I’ve never* seen a bottle of smelling salts in real life. I don’t suppose many people have.

Watching a series about boxing I thought I heard Barry McGuigan say “smelling sauce” but with his Northern Irish accent it was hard to say. Interestingly, boxers may be people who still use smelling salts. Anyway it’s around:

You know the smelling sauce they use to wake up people who have fainted?

Arkansas seems to either revel in coming from behind to beat their opponents, or they need to invest in smelling sauce to wake up.

Man, Oh Man, is this guy stubborn,” he said as he got out the smelling sauce. (in Google Books)

.Please take some smelling sauce, now!

Minutes later, Jerold is awakened with some smelling sauce

......your head and lose sight of your target, this is a very common amateur mistake will undoubtedly have you waking up to smelling sauce if you continue doing it.

(That’s in a boxing context)

I have had to reach for smelling sauce

(Enough)

*Oops, too much Spanish!

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2012-01-24 06:16:38)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2022-07-10 14:47:27

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Smelling Salts"

I don’t think I’ve never* seen a bottle of smelling salts in real life. I don’t suppose many people have.

An aged relative let me have a sniff of her bottle when I was little more than a toddler. I resolved then to avoid fainting at all costs.

Old ladies may have dispensed with the stuff but it lingers in the boxing world and other sporting activities. I came across smelling sorts the other day which led me here. “Sauce” is much better of course, and certainly worth revisiting. There is a southern BrEnglish dialect which seems to pronounce salts, sauce, source and sorts as something like sowce. Since salt isn’t noted for its pungency, alternatives seem reasonable.

I have just had to have a dose of smelling sorts from that goal!

Should I run for it, find the smelling sorts or grab yet another stiff gin?

The stranger looked around and said to no one in particular, “Give him the smelling source. Wake him up.”

Board footer