Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-02-04 21:09:26

will

"melting pop" for "melting pot"

I am seeing “melting pop” for “melting pot”.

It’s possible that this is just a misspelling, or semantic interference from the ‘pop’ of pop music, but I’m seeing about 20k Google hits for “melting pop of”

For example:

• Where in the bible can you find the melting pop of all humanity …
  • A melting pop of urban lyrism and inventive arrangements …
  • Cult Bits. Melting pop of music and writings. ...
  • Chicago owes much of its culinary history to its vast melting pop of civilizations that came here from around the world….
  • With an ever increasing population, it is a city widely acclaimed as a cultural centre and a true ‘melting pop of nations’.
  • It’s a big melting pop of different styles, fusing together dancehall, hip-hop, dubstep, and electronica for an underground club beat.
  • Like some kind of melting pop of sixties and seventies soul,...

#2 2012-02-05 08:24:05

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "melting pop" for "melting pot"

Could pop = popcicle be an attractor?

Last edited by kem (2012-02-05 08:25:17)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-02-05 11:33:26

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "melting pop" for "melting pot"

A lot of these are genuine hits, making it a pretty funny reshaping. Some are, as you say, Will, interference from pop music. Some others are WTFT, primed by nearby hip-hop and crowd.

This one reminded me of something I saw recently, going in the same direction.

same woman also said “if i ever catch one of youse smokin that pop, id shoot ye… sure id shoot meself”!
Irish board fightsy grandma

BTW, the Google summary “About 21700 hits” you see at the top of search pages is even more inflated than initial public offering share prices for Facebook. I count somewhat less than 100 nonredundant hits. The Bing search engine is always soberer; it counts 93 hits (again, you must go to the end of the line to see a sensible value). I may switch to Bing as the default if Google starts getting too warm and cuddly and invasive as it seems to be threatening to do.

Last edited by David Bird (2012-02-05 11:34:15)

Board footer