Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-02-21 13:44:02

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'brick neck speed' for 'breakneck speed'

He was running at brick neck speed. With all four paws on the ground.

All the press needs is one small anonymous tip and it will fly across the nation or the world at brick neck speed.

I heard someone use this today but I’ve no clear idea of what it might mean, other than the speed of a brick thrown at someone’s neck, or perhaps the speed someone might move should they spot a potential assailant eying their neck with unusual interest while hefting a kiln-baked rectangular block of clay. Or was it brink-neck? This has some sense of urgency at least.

The special technique used to reach locations in a fraction of their original time with brink neck speed.

In an instant Harry was flying past him at brink neck speed.

Nor did the speakers on the listening section speak at brink-neck speed, nor did I encounter a grammar section that I had to stare at for twenty …

#2 2012-02-22 00:05:11

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'brick neck speed' for 'breakneck speed'

Multiple votes (vote early, vote often) for “brink neck.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-02-23 14:27:56

burred
Eggcornista

Re: 'brick neck speed' for 'breakneck speed'

control of speed when driving on wet roads: driving at break naked speed generally leads to accidents.
Driving safety tips

Normally Edward drove at break knack speed, all the Cullens’ had a thing for speed
Online fic

I agree with the others the last 2 weeks have been great,even with the break nut speed the story lines are moving so they can tie most of them up.
Soap forum

Nonce and nonce and nonce, these might have been saved for April Nonce day.

Board footer