Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-11 21:05:56

ilselieve

overarcing = overarching

My housemate just said it tonight, and my eggcorn radar was on.

Does it count, when arch and arc are so semantically close? I mean it isn’t necessarily a more colorful word choice….

600 some hits on Google as well, which I assume aren’t just typos.

~ ilse

#2 2006-09-11 21:47:28

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: overarcing = overarching

ilselieve: let’s consider an example…

Uncle Figgy, Game Consultant
I start out with my world and a very basic overarcing plot/idea and then just start running minor, small-story adventures that may or may not be linked. ...
http://www.dragondogpress.com/unclefiggy/read11.htm

I think your initial instinct about “arch” and “arc” deriving from the same root (“arcus” in Latin) may pose a stumbling block for the analysis. It initially raises the question that if an “arch” is shaped like an “arc”, then what other meaning for arc could be intended? (I faced a similar difficulty when comparing “quarrelous” to “querelous”).

On the other hand, only “arch” conveys an architectural structure (and the associated support, connectiveness, or overhead protection it provides). By contrast, “arc” simply conveys the shape. In the above example, it’s as if the “arc” provides a (curved?) backdrop for the story. Is this meaning all that different from an arch? It seems to be a very gray distinction that I can’t resolve satisfactorily. Maybe someone else can pick up where I might have erred.

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-11 22:00:44)

Board footer