Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-02-20 15:47:07

larrybob
Eggcornista

treacle / trickle

Slow-moving treacle may trickle down (as has been pointed out “treacle down economics” is a frequent pun.) I thought a lot of the mistakes might be U.S. people who were unfamiliar with treacle, but it seems that even British people end up using the eggcorn.

Chef interview “I did, however, have to make a Trickle Tart, which is a traditional English dessert that I was not familiar with…”

Fanfic “That’s not much at all, come Hermoine and I’ll show you an old recipe my Aunt Daisy taught me when I was about your age. Best trickle tart recipe ever invented”

WeightWatchers ”...remeber age 7 being put on what was known as the diet table at boarding school and whilst normal sized kids had trickle sponge and custard, us on the diet table got a apple as desert!”

Expat message board “To me, the flavour has a suggestion of trickle pudding (the type you’d have with jam flowing down from the top many years ago) about it…”

Last edited by larrybob (2012-02-20 15:47:37)

#2 2012-02-22 06:26:24

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: treacle / trickle

A fine eggcorn, larrybob, that works best with puddings, sponges and tarts, but even treacle toffee is trickly before it cools and sets.

Decided to leave Trickle toffee and other such stuff there as it will take me forever to eat all this, I still have chocolate from Xmas.

#3 2021-10-24 01:52:19

Eoin

Re: treacle / trickle

I’ve fond it in the other direction.

Discussion of a court decision: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4861578/all ”...guess no need to wonder why Ringgit jatuh, FDI slow to a treacle and economy outlook poor.”

Slogan, Mark Burgess: https://www.princexml.com/samples/slogans/slogans.html : “Her world seems to slow to a treacle of dazed speculation as she watches them jump out; feet hit the tarmac, legs bend and absorb the shock; a head turns and dark eyes blaze through her; his mouth opens, body straightens and aims itself like an arrow through her chest.”

Last edited by Eoin (2021-10-24 01:58:33)

Board footer