Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-03-12 17:43:12

burred
Eggcornista

"Haricot veins" for beans

Medical professionals occasionally produce lists of mistaken word usage by patients. Though occasional wonderfully creative, these purportedly genuine quotations are more often farfetched, and a search on google rarely provides any backup evidence. An example that has been cited in the medical and lexicographical literature back into the 19th century is “haricot veins” for varicose veins. I couldn’t find any credible hits for this one. It appears in the literature as an example of uneducated speech:

beyond a haricot vein in one of my legs I’m as young as I ever was.
The Way of All Flesh, Samuel Butler, before 1884

Unaccountably, though, I did find a few hits that go the other way: thinking that green beans might be called haricot veins. Because they look like varicose veins? What a horrifying image! Some connection to the veiny string in string beans? Check out the last example below and be amazed.

We’re sorry, we did not find any article results for: haricot veins
Evidence of a search for veins on gourmet cooking site

To add a bit of texture to the fish, I blanched some Haricot Veins and carefully arrange them as the bed for the fish.
Photo caption: Pan Fried Forellen with Baby Onion and Caper Sauce, Served with Haricot Veins.

I blanced the Haricot Veins (the vege that looked like beans) with some butter and drizzle over the teriyaki sauce.
Recipe site

Board footer