Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-04-04 10:32:31

kem
Eggcornista

montument/montumental << monument/monumental

The English words “monument” and “monumental” descend from a Latin term for remembering. In a broad sense, anything that holds memories can be a monument – a picture, a lock of hair, a view. Because, however, the best way to cement a memory is to, well, cement it, over the years “monument” has become closely (and sometimes strictly) associated with stone. The lithic component has almost edged out the mnemonic role.

The long association between stones and remembering may have propelled the leap from “monument/monumental” to “montument/montumental.” “Mont” is recognized as a morpheme for mountain.

A few of the hundreds of examples on the web:

Comment on a poem: “In shock I could not write..this is such a montumental thing that has happened I am sure all of us will be chipping away writing the emotions of it for years. ”

Comment at trucker’s site: “He did! And created a montumental traffic jam in the process …. this was the first time it had been done. ”

Basketball article: “The Blazers win also sets up a montumental showdown at Memphis on Thursday. ”

Picture caption: “WWII Memorial with the Washington Montument in the background.”

Genealogy forum: “Only a montument standing now to mark the spot. ”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2012-04-04 18:24:50

burred
Eggcornista

Re: montument/montumental << monument/monumental

I wondered whether some of these might be some sort of anticipation priming error, but here’s someone who clearly makes the connection to mountainous terrain. From an oldtimer on a Louis L’Amour discussion forum.

As a young discharged Soldier from WWII, needing a summer job, in college, I worked on the the Wayne / Ford flick “Fort Apache” in ‘47 in Montument Valley UT/NV. Been back many times. If you will locate a DeLorme Mapping / Utah Atlas a Gazetteer {topo maps} I’ll show you how to find Haunted Mesa and other L’A locals in SE/UT. Haunted Mesa, Johnies Hole etc: go to page 21 {map index 4/5 ..B/D} HM is not far W of Montument Valley North of the San Juan river w/ Jonnies Hole to the W and No Mans Mesa across the river to the South.
http://www.louislamour.com/cgi-bin/dcfo … DCForumID2

Board footer