Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-04-06 19:59:20

larrybob
Eggcornista

striving / thriving

Sparked by David Bird’s wordplay Thriving to be impressive

Is your farm or business prospering or struggling? Some people seem to not be sure.

fanfic “The force was strong here, and the plants strived under the care of master agriculturalists.”

answers forum “Plants strive on light mostly”

1925 trade journal “The company had enjoyed a striving business during the early part of the year”

“are thriving to” gets over 12K results in Bing.

club publicity “On site Catering Manager and Caterer are here to meet your needs and are thriving to exceed your expectations.”

martial artists “Champions Martial Arts is apart of an Elite group of martial arts instructors thriving to make a difference in childrens lives.”

success story “Throughout elementary, middle, and high school I have always thrived to do my best and conquer any of the roadblocks that stood in my way.”

#2 2012-04-07 14:26:23

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: striving / thriving

I love it. These are great. It don’t think it had occurred to me that the word they were thriving for was strive; without thinking too much about it, I thought vaguely that it was try. So maybe that’s part of the mix in “thrived to do my best”. But looking in my files just now I see that I had collected some hits for “striding to be the best”.

We are exceptional franchisees striding to be the greatest pizza delivery company in the world!
Pizza place

When I was younger I use to create a video game character named “Champion” and he was suppose to be the best of the best, always striding to be the best thing in the world.
Might be a blog

Love this. I am striding to be this kind of woman.
Inpsirational proverbs

Roundtrip

i hav no prob when i say.. it will not really affect me frm now on.. haha.. i will merely take it in my strive.. n im confident
Diary

Last edited by David Bird (2012-04-07 14:31:21)

#3 2012-04-08 15:09:25

kem
Eggcornista

More of the stride >> strife roundtripper: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=4340

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2012-04-08 15:48:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Fascinating. I had no idea that stride, strife and strive came from the same roots, but I see that they do.

Last edited by David Bird (2012-04-08 15:49:14)

Board footer