Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-04-09 23:21:26

fishmatt

"calm and sense"

Would you call this an eggcorn? I was searching for first impressions on a new sportscar when:

Use Calm and Sense, The 3500 pound V6 mustang cannot match the 2800 pound 4 cyl BRZ in the real world.

I re-read it enough times to know what was going on and turned to Google. I dug through many, many likely punny uses of the phrase to sell new-age healing products and anti-depression self help books, and began to think of various ways one uses “common sense”.

no

Please, I feel like I’m arguing with a child. You truly have no calm and sense.

just

Also I know I should’nt expect the same results from the T-Bird I got with the PIII, Thats just calm and sense.

Even for the original “use calm and sense” I only have a couple of hits. Perhaps the prevalence of the punny use has just influenced a few people with no common sense?

#2 2012-04-10 10:30:57

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "calm and sense"

This is an absolutely delightful eggcorn. Best-of-the-year-list contender, surely.

Board footer