Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-05-23 16:37:10

klakritz
Eggcornista

'pigeon english' for 'pidgin english'

The guys at Language Log are perpetually annoyed by the endless stream of ill-considered talking animal stories in the popular press. But this is going too far. Even if Pidgins have simplified vocabularies and grammars, they’re well beyond the average bird brain. 30,000+ ghits vs. 300,000, e.g.,

pigeon english – definition by dict.die.net Pigeon English [perhaps a corruption of business English], an extraordinary and grotesque dialect, employed in the commercial cities of China …
dict.die.net/pigeon%20english/

The Code Project – C# Programming this is written in pigeon english. Can we have it written in clearer english please, grammar checked etc. www.codeproject.com/csharp/leftrightshift. asp?df=100&forumid=2873&exp=0&select=983268

Then he turned to the several hundred villagers now assembled behind the dancers, and proceeded to bellow a torrent of distorted, pigeon English …
www.bootsnall.com/articles/06-01/ seduction-and-sorcery-kiriwina-in-the-trobriands-png.html

‘Pigeon English’ is also commonly spoken throughout Ghana which is a combination of English and local Ghanaian languages…
www.camfed.org/gsp/Education_and_School_Life.pdf

Some of it appears to be the worst pigeon English I have ever witnessed. All of it appears to be bollocks.
www.weebls-stuff.com/forums/ /archive/index.php/t-39576.html

#2 2006-05-23 18:00:40

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Re: 'pigeon english' for 'pidgin english'

Dear Ken, for once this one’s already been caught—a very early entry that needs polishing, but still … thanks for the cites.

(I thought of it when I entered “sandscript” the other day.)

#3 2006-05-23 21:41:21

Ben Zimmer
Website

Yes, it certainly needs polishing… For starters, it would be good to list it as pidgin » pigeon, not pidgin » pidgeon! :-> Also, note that “pigeon English” is attested all the way back to 1857, about a decade earlier than “pidgin English”. See cites in the online OED and this alt.usage.english post.

#4 2006-05-24 00:24:23

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Oops.

What’s worse, to admit I can’t read my own typescript or I can’t spell pigeon? When in doubt, I opt for the former.

#5 2012-04-19 18:05:22

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I think this is a pretty common one. Here’s an example I just encountered (in an email inviting me to a poetry reading): “The languages include Spanish, French, Italian, german, Dutch, Danish, Hungarian, Japanese, Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Cockney, and Pigeon Hawaiian.”

#6 2012-04-20 10:00:20

burred
Eggcornista

Caveat eggtor on these ones.

Sous son apparente insignifiance, la petite étrangère s’exprimant en bitchin’ English – non surtitré – renvoie les témoins de sa chronique à leur propre façade, souriant face à leur tragique condition.
Swiss Theatre blurb
My translation: “Under cover of her apparent insignificance, the small foreigner speaking in pidgin English – without subtitles – brings the audience members to reflect upon their own social face, smiling before their tragic condition.” (The ambiguity of who is doing the smiling is in the original).

I had hear it in the news today. Is this the only apparentley sniper or his stepson too? (I hope you understand my bitchin’ English)
German forum post

These are malaprops, of course, not eggcorns. Characterizing someone’s English as bitchin’ can cover a lot of territory though I guess.

Last edited by burred (2012-12-25 09:26:25)

Board footer