Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-05-02 11:06:04

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Cough" for "cop a plea"

Looks to be “cop a plea” under the influence of “come on, cough it up”. Coughing a plea gives the impression of an unwilling admission.

Philippine boxing Mayweather could have gotten a longer sentence as prescribed by law if he went to trial and proven guilty. But his high-priced lawyer(s) got him to cough a plea and therefore the reduced sentence.

IT Piracy news archive 04/06/2006 08:35:58a Pirate CD ‘kingpins’ cough a plea

Jury duty I was there right up to the end of the night, when we were all dismissed because the perp coughed a plea at the last minute.

Atheist forum And I wanted to ask the otherside, what is the ethical value of their moral teaching’s of justice in the next life, when their Heaven is just as likely to be full of contrite mass murders who have coughed a plea at the pearly gates.

See also flea-bargain, please bargain, copying a plea.

#2 2012-12-31 23:23:27

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Cough" for "cop a plea"

Did I miss this one when you posted it. Cough a plea. Outstanding.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer