Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-04-12 21:43:20

David Bird
Eggcornista

all tenses and purposes

For all intensive purposes has been entered so many times on this forum that it could support its own dedicated site, I think. The human mind is more inventive than that. “For all tenses and purposes” requires some real imagination. Not only is it appropriate for all purposes, but also for the past, the present, the future, the subjunctive and the irrealis.

The last hit below is a beauty.

Some of us are upwards of 30, but for all tenses and purposes we’re basically the adventure community version of Animal House.
Sophomoric forum

I finish training tonight and casually chat with another member, a female who, for all tenses and purposes, comes from a rough side of the tracks.
The puzzle of violence

They were fantastic and they were for all its tenses and purposes, family.
Fiction blog

Last edited by David Bird (2012-04-12 21:46:56)

#2 2012-04-14 18:04:19

burred
Eggcornista

Re: all tenses and purposes

We still have one of his friends as an admin that in all intestine purposes does NOTHING on our site.
Gamers

If they think they can for intestine purposes, support espionage on the world’s sole super power, and get away with it, they obviously have another thing coming.
Politics forum

The “Asura” technique (makes it look like he has six arms and three swords for all intestine purposes that’s true)
Gamer forum

I don’t know what to say about this one. It seems unlikely that the perps have a justification.

Last edited by burred (2012-04-14 18:31:26)

#3 2012-05-02 18:50:01

czearfoss

“all intestines purposes” – sounds like something new from the Nature Channel…

Anyway I wonder if that is a spell-check correction for “intensive” – Just a thought.

I like that this one is revisited… the “tenses and purposes” phrasing is nice, and makes me thinks of “various mysterious takes on a problem” (since that is how most people might see verb conjugation), and the using that to imply that purposes are varied also? Thus “for all intense and purposes” standing in for “considering the various mysterious machinations” around an event or action.. Man, I’m making a stretch!

#4 2012-05-02 18:58:59

czearfoss

Could also be that “tenses” is for “tensing up” and thus would be linked to “intensive”, and by extension the original phrasing…?

Last edited by czearfoss (2012-05-02 19:00:41)

#5 2012-05-02 19:10:22

David Bird
Eggcornista

Aha, thank you, I think you’ve explained it, M. Zearfoss. They are writing “for all intensine purposes”, and that’s being corrected to intestine. Google suggests that correction for “intensine”. Mindbender.

Board footer