Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-05 16:09:40

pnevins

Greenback >> Greenbuck

My first in-the-wild encounter! Spotted in an otherwise-incomprehensible spam:
“Once you put in your money, you will see earning greenbucks with (WBRS . PK) is such a nice and easy work without anyneed to feel worry about it.”

I found one other reference:
“Shilling up as demand for greenbuck is muted”
(www.eastandard.net)

(I tried to enter this in the database but couldn’t get it to publish)

#2 2012-05-10 20:42:53

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Greenback >> Greenbuck

I was surprised when a search turned up this scoop from more than 5 years back. I found my encounter with the greenbuck hard to credit, but I went back over the digital evidence and sure enough, there it was. On the CBC’s flagship news show last night, the anchor had this to say during the market news, “The loonie lost a quarter of a cent, closing below parity with the greenbuck.” (At minute 29:28 The National, May 9 2012). The greenback as a word for the U.S. dollar is traceable to its introduction in 1862. The “buck” for the same dollar is attested from just 6 years earlier, as shorthand for the buckskin, frontier currency. Wedding of the two as the greenbuck is most common in the foreign press.

The value of the shilling sas lost over 20 per cent to the greenbuck late last year when Tanzania’s public debt soared by 40 fold
Tanzanian fnancial magazine

The other side of the coin has been the renewed weakness of the Dollar. The first week of June has seen the greenbuck marking yearly lows against all major currencies
FX trader

The fear is that a downgrade will make the value of the greenbuck dive.
Forex board, Philippines

Malawi devalued its currency Monday by 50 percent to the greenbuck
Malawi news

As the rupee continues to fight a losing battle against the greenbuck, realty sector is bucking up on a new trend.
Financial news, India

Second, for nation’s currency to threaten the greenbuck’s dominance that currency would have to rival the greenbuck’s diversity of owners.
http://www.linkedin.com/answers/financi … 569-570387

Multiple hits from Uganda, Kenya, and South Africa as well.

Board footer