Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-05-11 18:54:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

We're all in the same vote

The first person account of “we’re all in the same vote” is not very encouraging. Hen hadn’t worked out a personal justification. Still, in an election, we are all in the same vote, though not all are in the same boat. This is the return tripper for the boat is still out and boat of confidence.

I’ve always wondered if the saying is “play it by ear” or “play it by year” lol I usually say year :look:
Similarly, never been sure if it’s “we’re all in the same boat” or “we’re all in the same vote” I always used to say vote..until I realised that makes no sense..
I’m as bad at sayings as my mum is. Some of her best fails have been
“Fair crack of the sausage” lol wat on earth
“Put your ear to the grindstone”
“Don’t shoot a gift horse in the mouth” HAHAHA.
http://forums.teknoscape.com.au/printth … 5&page=501

I’ve tried several abortives, Maxalt works the best for me…gives me about 6 hours of functional time. Unfortunately it sounds like we’re all in the same vote.
Chronic headaches

Regarding that last problem, to be honest there is no problem at all. Like that MUCHMORE RETRO commercial, we’re here for each other. We’re all in the same vote! We’re all one big happy ‘family’! ;D
Star Wars collectors

Fair crack of the sausage sounds painful. Could have been ruder, and sometimes is; here’s the source, described by an Australian lexicographer.

The underlying idiom is the old and well-established fair go, which was first recorded in Australian English in 1904. As an interjection, this means ‘steady on!; be reasonable!; give us a go!’ By 1924, an expanded variant of fair go had appeared: fair crack of the whip. From the late 1960s and early 1970s more variants appeared: fair suck of the sauce bottle (sometimes abbreviated to fair suck), fair suck of the saveloy (sometimes abbreviated to fair suck of the sav), fair suck of the sausage, and finally fair shake of the sauce bottle.

Last edited by David Bird (2012-05-11 19:05:53)

#2 2012-05-12 08:21:24

kem
Eggcornista

Re: We're all in the same vote

Fair dinkum, mate. Good onya.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer