Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-05-17 09:55:06

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"happen" for "habit"

Here’s a new discovery, not previously mentioned on this site. I never encountered this one until I saw it in an online bulletin board post today: “Once it becomes universal it will be a lot easier to to get into the happen to bring a bag.” The similarity in sound between “happen” and “habit” is marginally enough to call it an eggcorn, and the meaning connection is there, I think. Googling “into the happen” yields about 30 unique hits which are definitely this eggcorn, so it’s fairly rare while still being, I think, incontrovertibly an eggcorn. Some more examples:

I’ve gotten into the happen of catching myself and correcting when I do things I dont want to do anymore.

I fell into the happen of not posting for months at a time on the previous blog…

Try to get into the happen of utilizing the whole day…

I have gotten into the happen of tossing handfuls of water into my stripping basket as I go…

I was very busy with school for a long time and then I never got back into the happen of writing blog posts…

#2 2012-05-20 21:50:08

czearfoss

Re: "happen" for "habit"

I can see it! Into the happen > into the happening now > what I’m doing now and intend to continue doing… which is a habit.

I also agree with the rareness aspect, but I think this could be genuine. I’ve done some checking into the spelling correction of google docs and microsoft word, and generally it tries to correct to “habit”, meaning “happen” as a correction for a misspelling of “habit” is probably not occurring.

Board footer