Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-05-31 05:05:16

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"exuberance" for "experience"

From a recommendation of a worker in the local email bulletin board: “He has 3 1/2 years maintenance exuberance, he enjoys cleaning and maintenance work.”

I emailed to ask the poster whether it was meant as a pun or was just a typo. She responded with one word: “Typo”. She didn’t mention whether “exuberance” was suggested by her spell-check program to replace a misspelled “experience”, but I suspect that. I doubt that it’s an eggcorn. I did scan 2 or 3 pages of Google hits for “years of exuberance” without seeing any examples of “exuberance” as a substitution for “experience”, which came as no surprise. But anyway, I found it to be a strikingly odd substitution. It seems one would have to be pretty careless to do it.

#2 2012-05-31 14:38:26

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "exuberance" for "experience"

Exuberant WTFT experience. I’m amazed you got a reply, but it’s first-person evidence that crazy inattentive spooneristic auto-correct typing errors did not start with cell phones.

Board footer