Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-05-30 23:20:29

kem
Eggcornista

pansy-waste

A few days ago Arnold Zwicky posted to our Eggcorn Database a delightful double-barreled eggcorn: “pansy-waste” for “panty-waist.” Seems to have everything going for it, even a reference to an outmoded technology.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2012-06-04 09:11:46

burred
Eggcornista

Re: pansy-waste

An alternative reimagining of a panty-waist occurs as a blend, in the form of a pantsy waist.

Being stupid so you can prove you’re not a pantsy waist proves you’re stupid, and foolish
Political forum

Pantsy-waist is one form, if not the progenitor, of the extremely common insult pantsy, with google hits in the thousands. Some of the following hits imply that justifications have been found through connection to underpants and “wearing your pants too high” (voluntarily or not). The second hit may be intentional.

[OP] Im a pantsy =\ I’m afraid to ask a girl that I like out…..:lol: :lol: what do i do?I’m like desperate!! :lol:
[2nd guy] Wait, clarify something. What is a pantsy?
[3rd guy] (gif of tough guy wearing only underpants)
[OP] Pantsy :tongue: pathetic guy who can’t accomplish one little thing. My friend calls me it a lot =\
Gamer lounge

Definition for jaculation:
Pantsy jaculation is where you blow your wad in your pants. Can be quite embarrassing in social situations.
“Did you just have a pantsy jaculation?” asked Danny.
“Yes!” sobbed Rolf, slinking for the exit.
Purged Urban dictionary entry

I’m a pantsy working in a pantsy office with my pants up my a** :p
Reviewer profile

I’m a sound engineer by trade and I’m offended by the word ‘sonic’ being used in vein on such a pantsy little toy grot box.
Car forum

#3 2012-06-04 19:39:06

kem
Eggcornista

Re: pansy-waste

“Pantsy,” in spite of its omission from published dictionaries, is an active slang term. I’ve heard it. Can’t say exactly what it means, other than that it is an insult.

It is possible “pantsy” comes from fancy-pantsy.” “Fancy-pants” as a term for a snob, a person with highbrow aspirations, started showing up with some regularity in the 1930s, and the adjective “fancy pantsy” is recorded from the 1940s. “Pantsy” may be a contraction of this adjective. There was also a Dick Tracy villain from the 1950s named “Pantsy” – sort of an early beatnik, a DJ with a goatee. I suppose his name might have been adapted as an insult. In any case, the word “pansy” probably exercised an influence. Almost every example of “pantsy” on the web could be replaced by “pansy.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer