Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-05-18 05:57:06

burred
Eggcornista

Phonetic spelling

Mishearing is an important source of eggcorns. Simple misspellings are not eggcorns, of course, although they can be interesting and transparent. The following were collected in a few days of listening closely to pronunciations from around the world on BBC World Service.

[Title] Yuge Python
[Description] My mate man handling a yuge python.
Hutube

What does menusha mean?
ChaCha questions

[Q] I want to ask… Which do you find more effective… Air chokes or blood chokes?
[A] We set in a large circle faceing outward. He went around behind us and applied an air type blockage until we tapped out(usually when ones vision started to narrow). After a break, he did the same thing with a carroted artory neck choke. The tap outs were much, much quicker with that technique.
Survivalist parlour trick

me jumping off sand june
Youjyoob

Give ‘em a bible and let them show where in the scripture homosectial marriage is condoned. Until then, it shouldn’t be allwoed, period.
Gay sects

#2 2012-05-19 02:07:15

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Phonetic spelling

burred, you’re a font of fun stuff.

Off the top of my head, I can remember that, when I worked in mental health, I and others were confused about “extrapyramidal symptoms” versus “extraparametal symptoms”. I know there are other examples of phonetic misspelling I’ve encountered, but can’t bring them to mind right now.

#3 2012-05-19 02:12:59

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Oh, I just remembered this one: Some years ago I was conversing with a British woman and she used the word “Chooda”. I said “What?”, and she repeated it a couple of times, but I still couldn’t figure out what she was trying to say. Finally, she spelled it out for me: “T – U – D – O – R”! Someone needs to teach these Brits to speak English ;^D

#4 2012-06-02 08:38:30

burred
Eggcornista

that’s what the book meant when they said Betty youst to be a dog then they switched her to a human.
Youtube comment

#5 2012-06-06 15:20:08

yanogator
Eggcornista

I don’t think I’ve told the story that’s similar to Dixon’s “Chooda” story. When I was a corporate trainer, I would sometimes receive calls from companies offering to sell us training classes. One woman was asking me various questions about our set-up, and she asked, “Are there any treaches that you attend regularly?” Naturally, I asked her to repeat the question, and she did, exactly as before. I asked for another repetition, and received the question again, with absolutely no attempt to speak more clearly. Finally, I had to say, “I’m sorry, but I’m not understanding the word ‘treaches’. Could you spell that for me, please?” She replied, “T-R-A-D-E S-H-O-W-S”. In three repetitions, she didn’t once make it sound anything like two words. It was “treaches” all three times.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#6 2012-06-07 15:57:57

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

To my ear though, chooda sounds no worse than toodrr, and besides I’m used to hearing tunes as choons, tuna as choona, a tutor as choota and a tuba, or tuber, as chooba. I’ve even heard chrain for train.
My non-rhotic Welsh friends would probably point out that Tudor should be pronounced more like Tidda, with that last vowel a short schwa.

#7 2012-06-07 16:42:56

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Peter Forster wrote:

To my ear though, chooda sounds no worse than toodrr, and besides I’m used to hearing tunes as choons, tuna as choona, a tutor as choota and a tuba, or tuber, as chooba. I’ve even heard chrain for train.
My non-rhotic Welsh friends would probably point out that Tudor should be pronounced more like Tidda, with that last vowel a short schwa.

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!

So apparently in England there’s considerable danger that one might attempt to cook and eat a tuba or play music on a tuber, since they’re indistinguishable ;^P

#8 2012-06-07 17:00:03

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Oh yes, you might even encounter a piano tuna.

#9 2012-06-07 17:02:50

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Peter Forster wrote:

Oh yes, you might even encounter a piano tuna.

Ha! I’m reminded of this joke: Did you hear that they had to recall a lot of Mercury automobiles? Traces of tuna were found in some of them.

#10 2012-06-21 10:34:50

yanogator
Eggcornista

And that reminds me of one of Lily Tomlin’s old jokes:
“I went to six different stores trying to find a can of rat hairs and animal impurities, and every one I found had tuna fish in it.”

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#11 2012-07-19 10:04:17

buzhwa

Oh my goodness. ChaCha fail. I thought their questions were answered by real folks? The answerer went for “mensch” rather than “minutiae” (did I even spell that right? haha)?

burred wrote:

What does menusha mean?
ChaCha questions

#12 2012-07-30 12:56:59

burred
Eggcornista

Watching Olympic tennis on Saturday, I was puzzled to hear that a new term was being used for a tied game, a term which I heard as “gin”, where I thought it should be “deuce”. Listening very closely I discovered I’d got it wrong, it wasn’t the Queen Mum’s favourite drink that was being proclaimed, it was “juice”.

#13 2012-07-31 07:40:27

burred
Eggcornista

And so, while the fab crowd stayed at the fabulous resorts where they rested and dined well and then whooped it up by night, lesser souls were having a juice of a time, just finding a rhythm, and luvs, this made for a lot of miserable would-be revellers.
Jamaica Gleaner social notes

All instances from Jamaica. They might all be due to one Perp Zero.

Board footer