Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-10-18 09:32:53

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'lock, stock and barrow' for 'lock, stock and barrel'

If you didn’t know that the acorn was based on the essential parts of a musket (thanks, Kem) it would be reasonable to assume the stock represented moveable merchandise, the lock was some security measure and the eggcornish barrow the means of making off with it.

If you too like these people are having similar plans to move lock stock and barrow you got to know how to make it as easy as possible.

Let’s move Wrigley lock stock and barrow and place it at say 63rd street and Woodlawn.

Maybe we should adopt the entire Australian health care system, lock stock, and barrow.

#2 2010-10-19 18:06:05

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'lock, stock and barrow' for 'lock, stock and barrel'

More fun with barrows.

Dr. Milton Greely finally laughed, “He is crazy like a Fox and he’s got us over a barrow!”
Claire grinned like a canary herself. “Yes Milton! A barrow filled with fine grade malt liquor
Fan fiction for TV show Cupid

I liked the Tuggyan “grinned like a canary” here – the one not swallowed by the cat after all, I presume. But come to think of it, a barrow would not be a good way to transport fine malt liquor. Let me find some less ambiguous hits.

I have delt with other ski-doo dealers in the past and some were ok and some would bend you over a wheelbarrow, like a dealer in Brewer.
Sly dooings

DO NOT AGREE TO THAT STIPULATION as they will have you at their mercy when your new car arrives and you are psyched till they drop the trade in price on you $800 or so and have you over a wheelbarrow.
Sneaky beamer dealers

#3 2010-10-19 21:27:34

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

“Grinning like a canary” is priceless! Thanks!
btw, have you arrived if your name is used as the basis for a horrible-sounding adjective formation?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2012-07-09 06:06:49

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

I can’t untangle the various post and threads about barrel and barrow. So I’ll tack this on here:

Second your scraping the bottom of the barrow here i think. Merchant gets the creidit though all the awards his shows have won. It’s only nature

John Key is scraping the bottom of the barrow since he is attacking The Green Party

It’s a bit frustrating, after having lots to talk about for several weeks I’m back to scraping the bottom of the barrow for ideas.

A pretty image, especially for a gardener.

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2012-07-09 06:07:08)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#5 2012-07-09 21:44:23

David Bird
Eggcornista

Any resonance from barrow-wight type barrows, as in, you know, tumuli? Hmm, while we’re messing about in burial mounds…

Original Poster: moors have quick mists, bottomless bogs and barrow whites, and you don’t want to feel the icy grip of a barrow white Annie :Shocked: :Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing:
Responder: Barrow white?
OP: :Smile: :Smile: Barrow whites are the guardian spirits of barrows which on being released by grave robbers from the barrow roam through the mists of the moor seeking relatives of those transgressors and take their souls back to the barrow for eternity :Shocked:
Mountain and moor rescue dog forum

Board footer