Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-07-13 22:22:02

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"rabbit succession" for "rapid succession"

It occurred to me that someone might be saying/writing “rabbit succession” for “rapid succession”, so I went rabbit hunting and discovered that “rapid punch” for “rabbit punch” has been discussed here on Eggcorn Forum, but not “rabbit succession”. So I googled “in rabbit succession” and found a bunch of puns and ONE single solitary example of an apparent eggcorn: ”...Kayla cannot use the staff to attack in rabbit succession without having to stop first.” (from an online discussion of some sort of fantasy role-playing game). It really seems eggcornish to me; the sound similarity is obvious, and it’s easy to imagine that someone could equate rapidity with moving like a rabbit. But with only one example, I suppose it’s unlikely that this one will be added to the Eggcorn List very rabbitly.

#2 2012-07-14 10:46:53

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "rabbit succession" for "rapid succession"

...it’s easy to imagine that someone could equate rapidity with moving like a rabbit.

Not just that, Dixon, but also their celebrated speed of reproduction.
There is much scope for eggcornish reinterpretation in the rabbit/rabid/rapid cluster; Pat, for example, mentioned rabid punch for rabbit punch – (I have utterly forgotten how to do blue clickies I’m afraid.) Here’s a couple of examples:

I used to think that a “rabid” dog was a “rabbit dog,” LOL, until someone laughed at me.

Many years ago my mother in law was bitten by a rapid dog and had to have a series of rabies shots.

Board footer