Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-07-22 20:16:03

larrybob
Eggcornista

hunted << haunted

Saw a Facebook comment with the phrase “hunted my dreams.” Googling it and variations showed it too common to all be typos.

Q&A Forum: “Why are my baby daddys hunting my dreams ?”

Fanfic: “Those previous moments haunted my every living step and hunted my dreams with murderous intentions.”

Cake disaster story: “this memory still hunts me every time I deliver a wedding cake.”

Fanfic: “Her only chance to kill him is at a masquerade ball,but there is a question that hunts Sakura’s mind:Will she be able to kill her only love?”

Sports forum: “MJ’S ghost hunts Chicago” – includes discussion of hunts vs. haunts and whether someone who’s not dead can haunt.

I think there are overtones of stalking – in fact, the phrase “stalks my dreams” seems to be of fairly recent vintage based on corpus searches.

#2 2012-07-22 23:32:37

kem
Eggcornista

Re: hunted << haunted

If this board had a like button, I would push it.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer