Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-07-18 10:11:14

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'Sir Bastian' for 'Sebastian'

Some names seem to come complete with cultural or social class markers. Now Sebastian, unlike Marmaduke for instance, isn’t exclusively a toff’s name, but I’ve encountered only one who wasn’t. And I haven’t actually met any of the others. Perhaps that Sebastian Flyte from Brideshead helps maintain such exclusivity, with the only other literary character I can recall being S. Dangerfield, Donleavy’s Ginger Man, to provide a bit of ballast.
The name is rare enough further down the social scale to allow an eggcornish reinterpretation and while most examples of Sir Bastian/Bastion are deliberate wordplay there are a few that seem genuine.

A constituent in Cornwall, assuming his MP had been knighted, once addressed him as Sir Bastian Coe. In fact, Coe’s pedigree is half colonial …

But it might easily have been Steve Davis, Steve Ovett, Sir Bastian Coe, Kenny Dalglish etc). These were the sporting reference points for …

And, as Sir Bastion Coe pointed out, there will be fewer people in London during the Olympics than there are during any given February.

#2 2012-07-19 09:11:20

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'Sir Bastian' for 'Sebastian'

A mere knighthood seems so inadequate for someone of Coe’s stature.

It still like to see some sort of celebration when Saint bastion Coe and the bid team arrive back in London.
London games

I presume the pronunciation was like the St. in St. John, aka Sɘnjɘn.

#3 2012-07-27 08:59:14

burred
Eggcornista

Sir Bastion makes a round trip and comes back in Lehman’s terms. You know, that biblical story of the last Sebastian.

The responsibility to stop driving is a personal one that I understand is the last Sebastian of ones independence
Behind the Wheel ebook

Should you be right, America will prosper… should you be wrong, the last sebastian of freedom will be lost Forever! :(
Politics forum

To think hodi is boring is upsurd he’s a one piece addition of bobby seale. Right now he’s the last Sebastian of rebellion on fishman island.
Manga discussion, Chapter 616

#4 2012-07-28 06:18:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

‘The Last Sebastian’ is an instant classic – I will no longer be able to use the word bastion without evoking that perforated saint and his tree.

Board footer