Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-08-06 09:30:03

David Bird
Eggcornista

A parallel universe

I ran into an apparently long-running tumblr thread on eggcorns. I haven’t made it to the beginning yet, but it’s at least three years old. Worth perusing, there are some great eggcorns. Here’s a taste:

Phil comes off as a harmless sandwich man, but he could be evil in carnage
http://eggcorn.tumblr.com/page/11

#2 2012-08-08 10:41:01

kem
Eggcornista

Re: A parallel universe

Interesting thread. These three also have some potential and do not seem to have been mentioned on our forum.

matchup/mashup: “Absolutely hilarious matchup of one of my favorite comics with one of my favorite book series. (Language may be considered inappropriate.)”

dawn/don the attire: “ “ Dr. Harleen Quinzel was a former criminal psychiatrist, but when she fell madly in Love with The Joker, she became the scintillating Harley Quinn. She is still the subject of fantasies had by even the most casual of comic book fans, and is often revered as the sexiest villain in all of comic lore. She follows her beLoved “Mistah J” blindly, and dawns the attire of a traditional harlequin jester, though few have ever worn it so well.” Another one found by Jill! This was from a “Which Batman Character Are You” quiz on Facebook. This one might not be a true egg corn since ‘dawn the attire’ doesn’t make any sense as a phrase on its own. But I like it anyway, and the fact that the quiz author managed to spell “Scintillating” correctly makes it even better”

pen point/pinpoint: “I will not pen point any one culture, I like all people.
I have decided that to “pen point” someone means to write on them with a ballpoint pen. Perhaps a victim of the pin/pen merger.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-08-08 11:43:00

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: A parallel universe

I also liked Tudor and Fordor sedans

1941 Cadillac Tudor Sedan Restoration.
http://www.hotrodsbyhg.com/current_proj … _tudor.htm

The Model T was offered in many different models throughout its history. All of these body styles were built with the same engine and essentially the same chassis: the Model T roadster, coupe, coupelet, runabout, roadster torpedo, town car, touring, and the fordor and tudor sedans.
http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/showroom/1908/photos.html

Could this be for real?

Edit: Yes. but now the wikipedia post has been changed to two-door and four-door.

Last edited by David Bird (2012-08-08 11:46:50)

Board footer