Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-08-08 10:18:52

kem
Eggcornista

sloggish << sluggish

Slug, noun for a lazy person, to slug, a verb for being slow/lazy, and sluggish, an adjective for slothful, have been with us since the fifteenth century. The terms may derive, says the OED, from a medieval Norwegian word. Only the adjectival form, sluggish, has retained currency in its original meaning. The noun, of course, continues to hang around with an altered meaning—a snail sans shell.

A slog, in the sense of a difficult traversal, and to slog, to beaver away at something tough or boring, came along in the nineteenth century. As one British dictionary of the period put it, to slog was to “walk with burdened feet.” The etymological source of the word “slog” is uncertain.

“Slog” has given birth to an adjective, “sloggy,” that has enjoyed a recent uptick in popularity “Sloggy” may have been influenced by “soggy,” an adjectival remnant of the all-but-vanished “sog.”

But what about “sloggish?” No dictionary lists it, but it shows up with some frequency on the web. Three examples:

Question on ISP forum: “Anybody else having sloggish response with servers and support today?”

Title of a blog entry: “Feeling Sloggish ”

Gamer forum:“ I downloaded it and gave it a go, and I’m fairly impressed so far, although some bits seem sloggish, the character seems a little slow using guns,”

It is possible that some of these people have recoined “sloggy,” but most users of “sloggish,” I suspect, have inoculated “sluggish” with the sense and spelling of “slog.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2012-08-16 13:19:23

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: sloggish << sluggish

While there are eggcornish possibilities here, I think this may be another example of a phenomenon we’ve mentioned before. At this point I should supply a blue clickie, but am unable to do so; searching ‘stunning ovation’ takes you to where the blue clickie should have painlessly ushered you.
Kem joked – or at least I thought he was joking – about another great vowel shift, but I’m afraid it’s no joke. It’s as if the ‘u’ sound has somehow become tainted, and without any discussion or even awareness (?) most broadcasters and those whose vowel sounds must match the prevailing model have somehow become deaf to 20% of the vowel sounds we used to share. It’s like losing losing blue from the colour spectrum. Or should that be bloe?

I usually listen to radio rather than TV and often hear things like a dog having given birth to poppies, an interesting image, and references to things like the cop that cheers. I suspect it may have initially had something to do with fuck and avoidance of plebeian pronunciation. When the local examples of street life begin addressing one another as a focking cont the process will be complete. I fear this may not be a distant prospect.

#3 2012-08-19 08:38:44

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: sloggish << sluggish

Here’s an interesting foughing variant that evokes stagnation.

hi i have a shohun 1994 uk turbo oil seals have gone. driving her she very sloughish and smokey so i cut the oil feed off
Motor forum

But yet to dispise the comlines of bewtie, to wast the bodelie strength, to turne nimblenes into sloughishnesse, to consume amd make feble the bodie with fastinge, to do injurie to healthe, and to rejecte the pleasaunte motions of nature; onles a man neglecte these commodities, whiles he dothe with a fervent zeale procure the wealthe of others, or the commen profite, for the whiche pleasure forborne, he is in hoope of a greater pleasure at Goddes hande;
Utopia

I know it’s hard to get motivated when there are so many aches and pains just to move through the day and getting started you feel sloughish and tired.
Health discussion

My 2 year old male tabby cat is drooling and has blood around his mouth. He sloughish and is walking stiffly.
Vet board

These would be favoured in corners of the world where they say “fooking”.

Last edited by David Bird (2012-08-20 13:00:17)

Board footer