Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-08-11 08:40:16

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Haida bed" for hide-a-bed

Those Haida needed to be economical with space. Hence that bed they could put out of sight during the day, or fold out when guests arrived.

All hits that could be sited came from Canada, and probably the west coast. Here’s a first person account:

Reading a few more of these has reminded me of my own embarrassing moment. Until I was 20 years old I thought it was a Haida Bed….you know like a Navajo word or something? Then one day the light went on and I was like “ohhhhhhhhh Hide-a-Bed”. DUH :P
Canadian living in Tennessee’s blog

Then she took the top off the board so it wouldn’t move. All of a sudden the bed started shaking lightly (it is a Haida bed by the way) and I looked over at Jen and a look of horror ran over her face.
Weegee board story

So we figure she’ll just take over the living room and we’ll put up some curtains or something and there is a haida bed there for her to sleep on.
Canadian High school student online diary

This didn’t happen over night, before the councilor I worked five day to six days a week to make rent, I lived with my sister and her boyfriend, I slept on a haida bed out in the living room that killed my back
Vancouver memoir

Has rear double bed and a haida bed up front.
Trailer for sale, Vancouver Island

Jordy may be giving me a 3-seater couch, too, which I need. I’d rather have a haida bed or a futon, but meh, it’ll be good enough.
Furnishing an apartment in the Lower Mainland, B.C.

It has a full kitchen and even a haida bed in the middle if you want.
California hotel review by a British Columbian

#2 2012-08-11 08:55:37

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Haida bed" for hide-a-bed

The original source of “haida bed” is, I believe, the Canadian children’s classic, Aunty Lehman visits the Queen Charlottes.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer