Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-13 17:41:49

mal315

"Rear-of-you mirror" for "Rear-view mirror"

My father said he thought the mirror in the middle of the windshield was called a “rear-of-you mirror” because it allowed you to see what was behind you. Is this a valid eggcorn?

#2 2006-09-15 10:52:59

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: "Rear-of-you mirror" for "Rear-view mirror"

Hello, Mal! – I love this one. Does your dad have any more? Let’s do lunch… I think I will order a rear steak, maybe a rump roast. (These are just eggish jokes or imaginary eggcorns. Your father’s rear of you may be the real thing.)

I looked quickly in Google, and found no instances. This seems to be a spoken eggcorn, the delicate sort that seldom survives in print. Note how the V sounds in of and view contribute to this.

#3 2006-09-17 10:38:16

mal315

Re: "Rear-of-you mirror" for "Rear-view mirror"

That’s the only one he told me about. He said he believed it was a “rear-of-you mirror” until he earned his driver’s license—at which point his friends quickly ridiculed him.

Board footer