Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-08-22 10:53:35

will

"browning points" for "brownie points"

I first noticed this at http://blog.angelatung.com/?p=3866

Being a marketing coordinator was definitely more stressful than being an admin, but it wasn’t too bad. I hated going to so many meetings, but my projects were straight-forward. A catalog of marketing materials for a sales meeting, coordinating marketing materials for said sales meetings, finishing up projects for managers who had suddenly quit, rewriting terrible copy for a training program, organizing giant PowerPoint presentations made up of three smaller presentations from three different teams (which I did late one night after almost all the other managers had left, and it was just me, one manager, and my boss, the boss of everyone, which earned me considerable browning points).

It doesn’t seem very common but here is at least one more reference:

http://www.prx.org/pieces/32312-encount … anite-kind

“Browning points with my wife”

Last edited by will (2012-08-22 10:53:51)

#2 2012-08-22 17:05:12

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "browning points" for "brownie points"

One theory about the origin of brownie points makes a connection to brown-nosing. “Browning points” may be a return to this reputed source. It may also be an Annie Lehman—the insertion of a proper name in place of a common noun.

Last edited by kem (2012-08-22 17:05:44)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-08-26 12:27:53

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "browning points" for "brownie points"

The bright and the muscular should be recognised for their efforts too:

A friend of mine visited New York a year ago and tried to score some Brainy points by posting about how she could just watch CNN for hours there! I think I actually took away some Brainy points from her at that point…

Not bad at all At least, you showed your unique sense of style – thinking outside the box will always get you some brawny points.

I think every player says that routinely to win some brawny points from the fans of his new club.

Board footer