Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-08-31 21:53:37

kem
Eggcornista

midigate << mitigate

At a minimum, the hundreds of people who replace “mitigate” with “midigate” have a spelling problem.

Three examples:

Comment on renewable energy site: “Unfortunately PV and other renewables are trying to midigate the problem, but will likely be seen as the “cause” like billp37’s comment.”

Car forum post: “I really do agree with your position, but since they aren’t changing then I will have to do what I can to midigate the risk”

Report of an airline flight: “Sorry about the delay folks, I will try to midigate the problem as soon as possible by flying this plane like I stole it.”

But could it be more than a spelling problem? To mitigate is to alleviate, to temper, to moderate. To pull the extremes, in short, to the mid-dle.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2012-09-01 12:02:28

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: midigate << mitigate

I think there’s a good chance that some of these are influenced by middleman. The existence of lots of “lidigation” out there bends the compass toward misspelling, however, like “Esbestos Lidigation Coalition”. No hits for “middle gate between” or any nearby spellings that I could find.

#3 2012-09-01 15:33:29

kem
Eggcornista

Re: midigate << mitigate

Yeah, I looked for middlegate too and couldn’t find it. This one will be a head-scratcher, lest someone fesses up.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer