Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-09-05 17:57:35

burred
Eggcornista

"grasping at stars" for "grasping at straws"

Desperate straits call for desperate measures. A drowning person will clutch at straws or lash about as if to grasp the stars strewn across the heavens. Straw is also strewn; the words are directly related, to my surprise. To grasp at stars imparts a kind of noble but hopeless beauty to your struggles.

Before I can endorse this theoretical therapy for my patients, I need at least some evidence. [Patients only ask me who are] grasping at stars for a solution to their recurrent miscarriages.
Fertility treatments=

“There must be something – something you can do. Are you full certain that you cannot pull out?”
“Yes, I’m certain,” he replied quietly.
I tried to think of more possibilities, but I felt that I was grasping at stars.
fanfic

This is what drives me nuts about Mariotti. He will say anything to draw attention to himself. Even if he is grasping at stars.
Sports blog

I didn’t want to have to stay with only one stranger who wore fishnet tights and shirts even teenagers become too conservative to wear.
“Um . . . I can’t stay at Amu’s?” I asked grasping at stars.
fanfic

To equate the actions of communism with atheism is clutching at stars at best.
Atheist zealot

Last edited by burred (2012-09-05 18:03:54)

#2 2012-09-05 22:32:43

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "grasping at stars" for "grasping at straws"

“Straws” and “stars” would be close cousins for non-rhotic speakers of English.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer