Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-08-25 10:58:21

jorkel
Eggcornista

copAESTHETIC (copacetic/copasetic)

Google hits on Aug. 25, 2007:
194,000 copacetic
102 copaesthetic—eggcorn
Analysis by Joe Krozel

Seems like I’m not the only one who misunderstood this word before I looked it up. “Copacetic” means “very satisfactory.” Something which is “aesthetic” may also be very satisfactory. I don’t know whether some view “copaesthetic” as the blend: “cope” + “aesthetic,” but the leap from “aesthetic” to “copaesthetic” may very well be as unthinking as some people’s leap from “ultimate” to “penultimate.” That is, some wrongly believe that “pen-” has a superlative meaning—as if “ultimate” could be made any more ultimate.

Examples:

Camelot Journal of L/L Research: 2007-03-01I wrote to Gary and Ian urging them to find out for sure about shipping costs and, if all was copaesthetic, to go ahead and put in our order. ...
llcamelot.blogspot.com/2007/03/2007-03-01.html – 21k – Cached – Similar pages

Re: why Nikon hasn’t joined the 4/3: Nikon D1/D2/D100/D200 Forum …... have a motion sequence that I’m too lazy to do the extra tedious work to keep everything copaesthetic between frames… that goes even for family shots. ...
forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=24249115 – 49k – Cached – Similar pages

ZAIUS – lyricsGot a chord wrapped around my neck, but you got to keep it copaesthetic So you find all is mine and you got know say. In my life…so hungry for…nothing …
www.zaiusrocks.com/lyricsCD1.html – 12k – Cached – Similar pages

Epifani 210/Electrical Question [Archive] – TalkBass ForumsI am at my girlfriend’s right now and then I’ll be home to crank it up and make sure everything is copaesthetic… More to come. ...
www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-130333.html – 10k – Cached – Similar pages

Build-A-Relay – Page 13 – Werewolf.com Discussion Boards… L’s). out of my 200 dollar a week check, im certain i’ll be giving up a hun every week just to keep things copaesthetic between me and the land lady. ...
www.werewolf.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12634&page=13 – 79k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-08-25 11:06:18)

#2 2012-09-18 10:08:32

burred
Eggcornista

Re: copAESTHETIC (copacetic/copasetic)

Copaesthetic is delightful! An easy jump for those who harden the th.

I got here via Ry Cooder’s recent album, “Pull up some dust and sit down”, where he has John Lee Hooker rhyming a version of copacetic with Democratic, as in, “I want everybody to know I’m strictly copastatic, I ain’t Republican or Democratic.” Michael Quinion’s piece on the origins of the word indicates that there are many theories, but the most credible to me was as a borrowing from Yiddish. I first heard the word in Edmonton in about 1970, so I naturally thought that it was Ukrainian in origin, like gaunchies. Whatever its origin, it is custom made for eggcoronation. Copestatic suggests stability and copability.

good tires, straight and true wheels, the suspension and steering head bearings are snug, everything is copestatic!
Motorbike sidecars

The new growth has also taken some bites but it seems it’s okay now, could somebody please give me there two sense as to if everything is copestatic im freaking out a bit.
Growing dank herb from seed

my utilities software tells me this driver is not working right, to check in device manager. Checking in device manager, everything is copastatic.
Computer forum

#3 2012-09-19 00:08:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: copAESTHETIC (copacetic/copasetic)

her mother, Dana Lohan, continues to defend her recent behavior and her younger sister, Ali Lohan claims that everything is copathetic.
http://voices.yahoo.com/saving-lindsay- … tml?cat=72

Is that like codependent, only better? Or worse?

I was hoping I could get people to help me figure out what to do to keep the computer running well and to make sure everything is copathetic
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=83 … print=true

It might work best with those who tend to cope with th by bending it towards s or z.

Last edited by David Bird (2012-09-20 14:59:56)

Board footer