Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-10-25 09:26:04

burred
Eggcornista

"rebottle" for rebuttal

A rebottled argument must be one which is drunk of, repackaged, and returned in kind.

Debating team Each person had one minute and thirty seconds to speak with a minute for each team at the end to rebottle the argument.

Blog I pressed him to explain why I should take his conjecture seriously, but before he began his rebottle, I quickly realized where he was coming from

fanfic Amanda was halfway through her thankful curtsey when the arresting officer blurted out his rebottle.

Yahoo questions
Q. Do you believe that Hezbollah has the right to bare arms?
In a vote in the Lebanese parliament yesterday 122 out of 124 deputies approved the resolution to bare arms to all citizens in Lebanon to the sole purpose of self protection and rebottle from invasion and of outside forces. I’m willing to listen to your comments and consider it a great honor if you’re willing to listen to my rebottle.

fanfic “Takes one to know one.” He said under his breath. This was rebottled by Tsunade’s fist, which sent him through the wall.

#2 2012-10-25 09:37:34

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "rebottle" for rebuttal

To the political debate skeptic, grist for the mill.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-10-30 12:50:12

larrybob
Eggcornista

If a debate is like a war, and the debater’s statements are like battles, a response may be a rebattle.

Message board comment: ”... the Dems candidate got more time and less opportunity to rebattle and they all represented a media channel favorable to the democrats.”

Answer site: “Dawkins used rhetoric to set the stage for his rebattle…”

Sports discussion: “Not that it isn’t redundant, I think our part here is to rebattle the argument of LBJ fans that LeBron is better than Kobe and not the other way…”

Last edited by larrybob (2012-10-30 12:52:21)

#4 2012-10-30 16:07:06

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#5 2012-10-30 20:18:22

larrybob
Eggcornista

Hilarious, JuanTwoThree. Are they intentionally punning, though?

I noticed that the Sports discussion example I gave is one which uses an eggcorn of rebuttal as a verb. See also Arnold Zwicky on rebuttal, the verb.

#6 2012-10-31 02:44:56

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

On purpose? The thought certainly crossed my mind.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer