Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-11-04 16:22:55

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

"Strictnine Poisoning" for strychnine.

Stuff’ll kill you. If that ain’t strict, I dunno what is.

“The person or persons detectives are looking for use gopher bait, or strictnine poisoning on top of cooked chicken which they placed under the community mailboxes.”
http://www.kvue.com/news/Pet-Poisonings-94014154.html

There are many ghits for this. Oddly, Google kept replacing strictnine with strychnine in results, foiling the search. I discovered under search tools a new option, “verbatim,” which when checked corrects this. So they have integrated spellcheck into search results, eggcorn hunters will need to be sure to check “verbatim.”

Anyway, one odd aspect of this one is I found many people using the phrase “strictnine poisoning” to refer not to a kind of poisoning a person suffers from, but rather as the name of the substance itself instead of just strychnine. That might be an artifact of my search method, though.

#2 2012-11-04 17:05:33

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "Strictnine Poisoning" for strychnine.

Not only that, there’s love potion No. 9, there’s LSD-125, and then there’s strict nine.

It is LSD and it is “antiquated style” made with strict nine
http://www.medicalfaq.net/gelatinous_ma … a-47373/p6

We will be doing the DNA tests. The hostile ones will be injected with strict nine.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 655AABLFLx

my friend told me to be careful cus blotter acid has strict 9 on/in it and it can be really dangerous, so i asked my bro, he gave it to me, and he said its coo and all acid has strict 9. So my questions are:
Whats strict 9?
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/inde … 32601.html

#3 2012-11-04 17:27:46

David Bird
Eggcornista

You might have turned up a vein of eggcorns for words ending in “nine”. I didn’t look further than this one though.

We’ll hook up with some hot guys to get your mind off that two- timing, chauffenistic, rude, not worth your while rock star you call your man. It’s time you move on and find someone else who’ll treat you right unlike that ass and nine fool.
what else but a fanfic

Is that like an ass and a half? One ass and 9 horses?

#4 2012-11-04 19:36:41

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Is it chauffenistic to open a woman’s limo door for her?

(This made me search for “show furs” driving limousines, but no success so far.)

#5 2012-11-04 19:42:09

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

(hey wait…has Montreal somehow taken over the eggcorn database? Is “poo ten” in the database yet? Does poo ten come after strict nine?)

Last edited by Craig C Clarke (2012-11-04 19:45:07)

#6 2012-11-04 20:24:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

All your database are belong to us.

La vraie poutine does contain fromage en crottes, after all, which we might translate delicately as “cheese droppings”.

#7 2012-11-05 22:58:58

kem
Eggcornista

“Strictnine” feels to me more like a WTF typo.

The last syllable would only be heard as “nine” in NA, wouldn’t it? Don’t UK speakers (and some Canadians, to be sure) say “neen?”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#8 2012-11-06 00:35:51

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

kem wrote:

“Strictnine” feels to me more like a WTF typo.

The last syllable would only be heard as “nine” in NA, wouldn’t it? Don’t UK speakers (and some Canadians, to be sure) say “neen?”

Well I’ve heard people actually pronounce the second “t” in strictnine, Insulation becomes installation, etc., we have a lot of that around here.
I’ve noticed that even though it makes it actually harder to say, we often seem to want to separate syllables with a hard consonant, tossing t’s or k’s about willy-nilly.

Board footer