Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-11-10 02:38:43

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Is this an eggcorn?

Alcohol is a big problem to the governement with money spent on the nhs and police but not as bigger problem as drugs

10,000 ghits for “as bigger problem as”.

It’s a reshaping, it has some kind of sense (which “I should of gone” doesn’t) but there’s obviously no semantic jump.

I’m saying it’s not, but then again…

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2012-11-10 16:29:33

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Is this an eggcorn?

“As bigger problem as” looks like another example of the kind of parsing error that Craig submitted earlier this month, mistake in identity. It is metaphorically congruent to a semantically coherent eggcorn without actually being one. It “reimages” syntax without much change in meaning. It’s conceivable but not certain that I understand what I just said. By analogy to the curate’s eggcorn, we might call these parson’s eggs.

#3 2012-11-11 03:21:17

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

It is metaphorically congruent to a semantically coherent eggcorn without actually being one. It “reimages” syntax without much change in meaning.

If that means what I think it means, and if it means what I think you think it means, if of course that is what you think it means, then I couldn’t have put it better myself.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#4 2012-11-15 12:03:40

larrybob
Eggcornista

Is this sort of reshaping more likely in Commonwealth countries?

E-Cig Faq: “Perhaps in the US where E-Cigs can be bought at the local shop it’s not as greater problem as here in Australia.”

#5 2012-11-15 12:49:58

burred
Eggcornista

i dont feel it is as bad and as deeper problem as many of your suggest
UK football blog

Im not being funny but its not as wider problem as the media outlets are telling you
English blog

as far as I can tell it is not as larger problem as having pallets of busted ones out the back.
Aussie car forum

Even then it was not as huger problem as you might think. I would have hated schools now with their insistence on long trousers.
Did you feel a right prat to wear stretchy shortalls with Mary Jane sandals and pelerine socks?

Board footer