Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-11-09 21:47:04

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Witchy board" for Ouija board

I was impressionable and untethered enough, and had enough residual THC in my veins, to be scared shirtless by my one and only contact with the ideomotor effect of the ouija board. I’ll never do it again. The convincingly exotic name is apparently simply a brand name cooked up out of Fr. “oui” and Ger. “ja”. About a dozen convincing hits on the web for the logical alternative witchy board.

Is a witchy board real do u really speak to the spirits. People are playing it @ my school? wat does it mean?
Yahoo questions

Mike, his friend, and his friend’s girlfriend were experiencing with a witchy board. And I’m not going to get into the details, because it’s just creepy, but after they experienced that, they found out that I will die in 4 days. [...] I don’t think I will find out my death on a witchy board.
Church forum

yeah but [bet] you and you’re people surely do think witchy board, ,and hell, and the devil him self exists, [bet] your favorite music is metal.
U-tube comment

i’ve never seen anything but i have heard unusual noises in my grandma’s house. there is the game the witchy board DONT PLAY IT!! ive heard bad stuff about it !!!!! its some way of speaking with spirits but i dont recomand it . though if you do tel me about it later
Yahoo questions

#2 2012-11-10 09:17:21

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Witchy board" for Ouija board

Eggcorn gold.

We’ve also seen “douse” for “dowse.” Must be some other occult eggcorns out there—the field is ripe with obscure terms.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-11-10 16:44:23

burred
Eggcornista

“Dousing for water” is a beauty that I hadn’t seen before, thanks for bringing it back to the surface.

I should have mentioned the obvious, that I have never heard ouija pronounced as it’s spelled, but only as weegee, like the precognizant photographer.

Wiccan looks a likely target. So close in sound and insouciance to wicked. Unfortunately, wicke could be just a typo, or phonetic spelling. Who knows.

i love the out doors. i am wicka and i love shiney sharp things
okcupid self summary

I’m pulling out my wicken spell book as we speak and will get down to the business of canceling this show.
Blog

#4 2012-11-11 00:16:56

kem
Eggcornista

We also have Pat’s convent of witches in our files. And suckubus.

I have a note to myself to write something about “feetish,” another word that might fall in the occult category, since it derives from an Iberian word for sorcery. I pronounce it “FET-ish,” but until the mid-twentieth century UK speakers tended to pronounce “fetish” as “FEETish,” which may have led to the “feetish” spelling found on the web. But “feetish” may also be an eggcornical confusion with the plural of “foot”—fetishes are often connected with feet (i.e., foot fetish).

Possible hidden eggcorns in this vein: “Hexagram” has no etymological connection to hexing someone; “occult” has nothing to do with “cult.”

#5 2012-11-11 03:33:15

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

I had hopes for a “clever aunt” (clairvoyant) but there’s nothing. The best I can offer is a “seeance”

Does anyone really believe in ‘psychics’? I most certainly do. Doris Stokes* once told me during a seeance in the 1980s that I would be famous

We’ll conduct a seeance and ask John since he wrote the line.

Séance means “sitting” so a seeance as “seeing things” is pretty, but it’s inconclusive.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#6 2012-11-11 11:27:49

kem
Eggcornista

“Seeance” is great. While the spelling has been used to poke fun, most of the people providing Google hits for “a seeance” seem to believe that they see “see.”.

#7 2012-11-12 16:08:18

burred
Eggcornista

Annie Lehman’s cousin Luigi haunts a public forum.

Q: How Do You Play Luigi Board?
A1: You set up letters numbers, and yes and no. You sit in a circle and ask the spirits questions…
A2: This is all absolut ly ridiculous . There is no such thing as a luigi board , and those who believe in them have no better time .
A3: Well yes it is my sister asked who created the luigi board and it said the devil then it started to say some wierd things in latin!!
A4: If theres not a spirit in your house by doing the luigi board your inviting evil spirites into earth and straight away they come to where they was invitied from, (your place)... So advice from me to all you lot is if you are not too positive there is a paranormal existence in your house than don’t do the luigi board!!!! X
A5: Well , my friend’s family did the luigi board and nothing hapened until they turned off the light and asked if they could make the cross with the glass so the glass made a cross , so then she asked if they could make there initials and then she got so sceard she tolldd themm to stopp and she went in to the garden and burned the letters and she started to cry because she was so sceard.

#8 2018-07-29 15:01:54

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Commenting on the title of Kem’s book, somebody at the dinner table today commented that “Witchy board works pretty well”, and our daughter came back with “Witchy’s why we like it so much.”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#9 2018-08-30 07:47:20

kem
Eggcornista

Your daughter seems to be possessed by the wine-whine merger demon. But then almost all of us are these days.

#10 2018-09-03 18:36:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Watt? Y I never!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer