Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-14 17:04:31

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

_License_ as the plural of _Licen_ - Eggcornish Michigan Dialect

A lady once told me that she was heading for the Secretary of State’s office to get her licens. She meant that she would get a new licen plate to put on her car, and she would renew her Driver’s Licen. (The Driver’s Licen is the card we carry around in our wallets, to show to the cops when they stop us, and to prove who we are when we cash checks.)

This lady was planning to get both licens on the same visit, rather than renewing one licen at a time.

In my part of the world (Supermesohesperia, USA), we still have many people who seldom read. This lady and many of my other neighbors always have believed that licen is a word. This lady lives in rural, western lower Michigan. The conversation took place circa 1990 CE. Does anyone else anywhere else say, “Licen?” Please let me know.

And… This shows that the borderline between the S sound and the Z sound is ill-demarcated in my part of the world. The real word license has an S sound at the end. But the made-up word licens must have a Z sound.

Last edited by Tom Neely (2006-09-14 17:36:50)

#2 2015-03-19 13:28:31

kem
Eggcornista

Re: _License_ as the plural of _Licen_ - Eggcornish Michigan Dialect

Since Tom’s 2006 post, the web has given us a large number of example of “driver’s licen” and “licen plate.” Scan, for example, the Google search for “licen plate.”

Anything that escapes from Michigan should be a concern to everyone.

Last edited by kem (2015-03-19 13:46:50)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2015-03-25 00:19:05

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

Anything that escapes from Michigan should be a concern to everyone.

Having escaped from Michigan, I’d have to agree with you on that.

I’m originally from southwestern Michigan—born in 1950 in Kalamazoo (only because there wasn’t a hospital in Paw Paw yet) and raised in Galesburg and St. Joseph. After being away from MI from ‘69-’71 for a stint in the Army, I lived there for another couple of years (St. Joseph, Benton Harbor, Stevensville and Sodus) off and on before escaping for good by late ‘74. FWIW, I don’t recall ever seeing or hearing “licen”.

#4 2015-03-25 23:29:00

kem
Eggcornista

Ha! I meant that as a tongue-in-cheek play on stereotypes. Had no idea the shoe would actually fit anyone on the Forum. I get what I deserve.

Last edited by kem (2015-03-25 23:30:05)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2015-03-25 23:34:59

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

Ha I meant that as a tongue-in-cheek play on stereotypes. Had no idea the shoe would actually fit anyone on the Forum. I get what I deserve.

Just to be clear—no offense whatsoever was taken. But now you’ve gotten me curious; is there a stereotype of a Michigander? If so, what is it?

Board footer