Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-12-20 04:59:34

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"Baste" for "based"

This one is apparently new to the Eggcorn Forum: I just encountered “we are all baste upon this system” in an online chatlist. Googling “baste upon”, then screening out all of the references to cooking, sewing, etc. yields close to 50 unambiguous examples of this substitution. For instance:

all of my discoveries are solely baste upon my intellect, logic, and reasoning.

The managers seem a little too judgmental WITH HOW they judge you baste upon performances…

i had to take a long look at it for like an hour to know what the structure’s were baste upon…

Baste upon the year there would be some more around and maybe silver.

distance is baste upon my address to yours + Google maps…

You are so totally right this probable Hindu if not Atheist totally reminds me of that jew that christianity is baste upon…

each person has an assigned seat baste upon their Boneyards’ rank…

im gonna say she isnt racist baste upon the fact that her child is mixed and she is with the father of the child …

I don’t see the meaning connection necessary to call this an eggcorn. I think it’s just a funny substitution, and one which I don’t recall ever having encountered before.

Board footer