Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-12-30 07:17:11

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Condensending

Yesterday in a phone conversation a woman used the word “condensending” two or three times (not in reference to me, LOL!). This substitution is new to Eggcorn Forum, but a Google search yielded about 300 or so unique unambiguously eggcornish examples, for instance:

His bedside manners are rather condensending and cold.

i have a very good friend of mine who tends to be so condensending that i cringe when she acts that way.

Terrible Service, lazy,condensending,mean.

Look at what a condensending ass Paul Ryan is.

Went back to the store with receipt and that is where the rude and condensending attitude raised its ugly head.

...and then there was this rude tall drink of water who was very condensending and downright disrespectfull.

It seems like a real eggcorn to me because not only is the pronunciation close, but the speakers/writers could be thinking that if you’re talking to a stupid person, you must condense what you’re saying or they won’t understand—thus “condensending”.

#2 2012-12-30 10:41:40

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Condensending

An eggcorn that deserves our credense.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-12-31 08:58:26

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Condensending

Some of the written hits might be anticipation errors, but you can’t argue with those who don’t condense the ending.

However, to say that the same “bile” is being spouted is condense ending and, in this case (out of the posts made) wrong.
http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.p … dan.88428/

No need to sound so condenseending.
http://chanarchive.org/4chan/v/4006/ste … futaba-ish

Board footer