Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-01-09 12:42:07

vexact

jalousie window >> jealousy window >> ventana celosia

Here we have a double bilingual eggcorn. The english “jalousie window” is eggcorned as “jealousy window” which translates in Spanish to the widely used “ventana celosia.”

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512162
So my question is, how do I clean my jealousy windows? Actually the frames are what I am trying to clean. (Also searched for that too) I have a lot of oxidation or something on the frames and I am trying to get it off. I have tried windex and a rag, letting the windex kind of soak for a minute or so. Also tried steel wool and windex….

jealousy >> celosia (Spanish)

(Google ventana celosia for many many examples including:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk- … O22cawudaI

Nesecito crea un tipo de ventana celosia vertical pero no tengo idea de como hacerlo encontre varas ya hechas pero todas tienen las paletas de vidrios horizontales y nosotros las ocupamos verticales me podrian decir donde consigo un tutorial detallado de como hacerlas gracias

#2 2013-01-10 11:30:48

kem
Eggcornista

Re: jalousie window >> jealousy window >> ventana celosia

“Jalousie” is borrowed from French. In French the word jalousie means both jealous and a sun-blind. Presumably the sun-blind usage is a metaphorical extension of the word for jealous (i.e., exclusive), since they exclude rain. In French a sun-blind is fenêtre jalousie. So the Spanish ventana celosia is perhaps a calque of the French term.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2013-01-10 16:09:15

burred
Eggcornista

Re: jalousie window >> jealousy window >> ventana celosia

‘Jealousy window’ is a calque of a calque of a calque, apparently.

The origin of the meaning jalousie=window blind is indeed Italian and not Greek (dictionnaire de l’académie française). The original defining characteristic of a gelosìa is that you can see out of the window without being seen from the outside. It seems to be derived from the meaning jealousy because it allows jealously guarding the privacy of the house, especially of an oriental harem.
wordreference forum

Fifteenth c. gelosìas were first a trellis and then had wooden or iron louvers to protect the modesty of your seraglio (maybe like Phoenician blinds). Glass jalousies wouldn’t cut it. A synonym in Italian is Persians, which fits the idea of a finely cut trellis.

Last edited by burred (2013-01-10 16:12:58)

Board footer