Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-01-10 02:57:54

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"concecreated" for "consecrated"

This one is new to Eggcorn Forum, and to me. I found this in a Wikipedia article: “On 6 February 1987 he was concecreated titular Bishop of Nyssa and auxiliary bishop in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain…”

Googling “concecreated” yields at least a couple dozen unique eggcornish hits, such as:

...its chapel, concecreated in 1509, was dedicated to the Trinity and the Blessed Virgin Mary…

Concecreated oil or Blessed Anointing oil, is a concecreated oil used in various religions. Concecreation means to associate with Sacred.

The church members will concecreate themeselves to 30 days of prayer in fasting.

The final answer was French king who claimed Naples and was Concecreated by Pope Alexander VI.

Googling the variation “consecreated” yields around 300 or so unique eggcornish hits. And I’m sure searching for other forms of the word such as “concecreating” would be fruitful too.

#2 2013-01-10 11:02:26

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "concecreated" for "consecrated"

Another plausible religious eggcorn. Does the divine afflatus1 scramble neural circuits?
———————-
1 Yes, there are web sites that render this “divine inflatus.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2013-01-10 15:34:30

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "concecreated" for "consecrated"

Consecrated was asking for it. Its roots mean “holy together” or something similar, but sacred has been metathesized so that it’s almost secret. I suspect we could find more attempts to reinject meaning into the word. Here’s another version:

In the early stages of the Black Death victims were buried in the normal manner, in Churchyards etc. but as more & more people died the churchyards couldn’t cope so they were buried in Mass Graves. In London, the ground where the dead were buried was designated as “consequated” ground and you cannot build on such land, Which is why London, today, has such a lot of Parks & Gardens, far more than any other city of comparable size
Yahoo questions

We’re living with the consequences.

Board footer