Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2009-05-23 17:21:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

yield = wield

This one puzzles me, though I have gotten it from several quite different sources:

Let’s show them what the power we can yield is.

Do you want to yield the knife and slay him yourself?

Without any adult supervision, the newly weds yield the knife [picture of newlyweds cutting the cake together]

Remember the magistrate does not yield the sword in vain (Romans 13:4).

My best guess is that it is simple malapropism: substitution of one imperfectly-known word for another similar one. In many contexts it results in opposite meaning: to yield the sword is automatically to cease to wield it. This adds to the puzzlement of it, but also moves it towards eggcornishness: the two meanings are not irrelevant to each other, which is a step towards making some sort of sense.
I haven’t come across (including in a short google search just now) usages of wield meaning ‘yield’. They may well be out there.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-05-23 17:37:59)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2009-05-24 14:50:21

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: yield = wield

A probable wield << yield:

“I shall wield myself to the one who holds the phoenix…”. Ryo gets up and stares through the window as they reach the station when the train stops, ... www.fanfiction.net/s/1339389/1/Kiss_of_a_Phoenix – Páginas similares

A lot of other examples seem to be misspellings of “weld”, or random collocations from search-trap sites.

#3 2013-01-23 03:02:10

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Still puzzling over this one. Recently saw a file with this repeated three times, which tends to indicate that it is standard for the author.

Might it be some sort of progression like yield (to s.o.)> give over (to s.o.) > give (to s.o.) > inflict (on s.o.)? / proffer (towards s.o.) > poke (towards s.o.) > brandish threateningly (towards s.o. people generally). ??

#4 2014-03-19 15:05:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

In the news today (AP):

Lasso-yielding officers chase loose bull in Texas Published March 19, 2014 Associated Press¶ A bull apparently in no mood for vaccinations led police on a chase down a Texas city street before horse-riding, lasso-yielding officers were able to wrangle the animal.

#5 2014-03-22 09:13:14

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Yield can also mean produce, provide, generate, or deliver. The yield of a nuclear weapon is a measure of its force. These meanings make more sense in relation to the examples you cited in your initial post above, David.

Board footer