Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-01-31 13:46:17

David Bird
Eggcornista

Forbearer/forebearer for forbear

I’m tickled pink with the discovery that I have been suffering under the influence of one more big fat eggcornical misconception. I had always assumed that your forebears bore the line of which you are a part. But incredibly to me, that _-bear_ is a mutated form of being. Exquisite.

I’m clearly not the only one – hence the multiple hits for the alternate form, forebearer.

BTW, please forgive the forbear in the title. I was momentarily confused by the anything-goes MW online dictionary.

Last edited by David Bird (2013-01-31 14:16:44)

#2 2013-02-07 00:07:43

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Forbearer/forebearer for forbear

David Bird wrote:

BTW, please forgive the forbear in the title. I was momentarily confused by the anything-goes MW online dictionary.

Okay; we shall exercise forbearance this time.

Board footer