Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-02-17 20:31:10

burred
Eggcornista

"Heresy" for hearsay

The Database already has an entry for heresy >> hearsay. This is the roundtripper. Ken Lakritz justified the original with, “To the orthodox, both are forms of misinformation.” That’s an economical description of legal objections to entering heresy evidence. I like the hit from the lawyer below who claims to have heard it pronounced in court. Still, it can’t be an eggcorn I don’t think. There’s little semantic overlap to justify the slip. Kind of funny in any case.

Heresy evidence is fit only for further investigation and does not at any time qualify as fact.
Marketing advice

Bradley’s “duplicious” defense attorney obviously attended the same law school our local defense attorney who shouted, during my direct of an agg robbery victim, “Objection, Your Honor! That question calls for heresy!”
Lawyer mangled language thread
defendants attorneys were allowed to bring heresy evidence into court [...] Its should be noted that all of the Courts findings were based on heresy evidence
Legal brief

“That is heresy evidence until you see them crossing,” Melinda told him.
E-book

#2 2013-02-17 22:38:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Heresy" for hearsay

What do you bet the perps pronounce heresy as “hear-see” rather than “hair-i-see”? If so this is probably a misspelling (here for hear) but likely eggcornish anyway, in that see is perceived in it. Quite possibly some think it means “firsthand evidence”, which would be a logical way to take it. However, even though eyewitness (earwitness?) testimony is prized, it can be depreciated or mocked, and a word like hearsee could easily be taken as describing testimony considered untrustworthy whether heard or seen.

I thought I might find some examples of “hearsee [evidence]”, but got tired of looking before I found any. There a number of examples of hearsy , which could of course be just an omission typo. E.g.:

I need a list civil cases where hearsy evidence was introduced.

Hearsy Evidence ¶ 202.191.125.242/mirror/index.php?option=book_details…
No Cover Image, Hearsy Evidence by Tregarthen Publisher: Publication year:

So all the hearsy evidence supplied by Planet Management in the DOT hearings could not help them in cold light of day of a civil court proceeding.

Still, these are possibly relevant, as depreciating the value of hear-see:

When I hear/see the phrase “evidence-based medicine” it’s almost always in the context of someone defending mainstream quackery.

all relevant evidence is admissible, with some exceptions; irrelevant …... we let the judge decide what the jury can hear/see

Critics of empiricism have pointed out there is no clear demarcation between the evidence of the senses and theory (Quine 1953). What we think we hear, see, smell, taste and touch depends upon interpretation.

Searching for evidence of bigfoot? We’ve ….. Every thing they hear, see, smell, find is a big foot.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2013-02-18 00:17:44

burred
Eggcornista

Of course! You’ve nailed it, I think. Here’s some hearsee evidence.

Show me some sort of Factual Evidence instead of just hearsee.
Sports comment board

I have no first hand knowledge. Just hearsee.
Car club

it was was suppose to start that week 4 or so months ago according to the management. You sure this is not just hearsee.
neighbourhood forum

#4 2013-02-18 03:34:41

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

The parallel with look-see = “a brief, cursory examination, a glance” might well be relevant.

for about 4 years I have been meaning to give Belle and Sebastian a hearsee. And I am glad I have done so. Quality music, fun and light sound,

There is a player on the bottom here with a couple songs from the band so you can have a hearsee. Also, here is a link to some lyrics, so you can see if you like …

Another possibility is that the – y is taken as a (despective?) diminutive, giving a word which might also be spelt hearsie . Quite possibly the word would be pronounced hear-zee, in that case (if derived in people’s minds from hears rather than hear ). In that case you might also expect a plural form hearsies . But you might not get it. Lacking David B’s googling skills, I gave it only a quick looksie , and didn’t find any singulars, but I did find a few plurals.

Stories or Hearsies or Folks on Vellala Pillai

All I know about these leaders are hearsies and writings about them

So you do believe in conjectures and hearsies as deemed useless by your rival (OPF).

Most examples of hearsies clearly have the meaning “heresies”, which at least confirms the conjecture that a lot of folk pronounce “heresy” in two syllables, with a “long” e in the first one. Is a heresy for them, eggcornishly, something you believe only because you have heard it, something perhaps to be corrected by clearly seeing? How did Job say it? “I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” (42.5-6)

An interesting (and odd) bit of Gollumish poetry:

Hearsies a whispers in the darks. Feelses a coldness creptsies to our boneses. Fearsies the wind. For it’s rage consumes us.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-02-18 14:25:41)

#5 2013-02-18 08:43:47

David Bird
Eggcornista

Despective ... that’s giving me da chicken skin. Had to go looking for that one, where I ran into Bill Casselman’s despective paean. Delish.

I should get a nagging possibility into the open and out of the way. Heresy for hearsay might be a misspelled eggcorn, in the form of a dropped a heresay. Along those lines, I read into your argument the possibility that heresy for hearsay might be a despective gollumoid of here. These heresies would be undetectable except by confession or by matching with wheresies or theresies.

#6 2013-02-18 10:48:49

burred
Eggcornista

Heresy as “here-sie” has the form of a misle.

#7 2013-02-18 14:04:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

burred wrote:

Heresy as “here-sie” has the form of a misle.

Exactly. And the misle, as so often, facilitates (and might be impossible without) a reanalysis, which is likely to be eggcornish.

Casselman nailed me, by the way:

despective enters the realm of English language study from persons acquainted with Spanish linguistic vocabulary, where despectivo applied to a word or phrase means ‘insulting, derogatory or pejorative.’

Yes, I know the word from Spanish and blithely assumed it must have its cognate in English. But I’m glad Casselman likes the word: I do too. It allows for a useful distinction —it isn’t as strong as pejorative: you are just looking down your nose, not cursing, at the object of your despication.

I’m going to use despective frequently. It is pleasant to have a synonym for pejorative in linguistic English. If enough of us peasants employ the term, then the small-glossaried swaggerers at the Oxford English Dictionary office, punctilious apostles of verbal stasis, will be forced to insert the new word in future editions.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-02-18 14:29:32)

#8 2013-02-18 14:20:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

David Bird wrote:

I read into your argument the possibility that heresy for hearsay might be a despective gollumoid of here. These heresies would be undetectable except by confession or by matching with wheresies or theresies.

Yes, that possibility is there. Also the possibility that heresy , meaning “heresy” (rather than “hearsay”) but pronounced “here-sy”, might mean “false statements about someone/something revered, occasioned by what you see in the here sie-and-nowsie which is not the full picture”, much as “hearsy” might mean such statements occasioned by what you hear but which is not the full story.

gollumoid

It beats despective for raising the goose-bubbles. I like it!

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-02-18 14:38:10)

Board footer