Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-02-22 11:38:56

fpberger
Eggcornista

Full-sail replica

I first heard this one on the radio, although I don’t know if they were saying “full sail” or “full sale”. I find both on google, but I find the imagery more compelling for “full sail”.

When food is sailing through the air you have a full-sail war?

For our finale we had a full sail war of eggs and rotten carrots, cinnamon, mayonnaise and bananas. -Scuba Voyage

What happens when you finally catch some elusive bones at the canal? A full sail barrage of derogatory comments intended for no one but yourself and the resident wildlife. -video blog

And my favorite. The boat in question, after all, was both life size and had all the sails of the original…

She was built as an exact, full-sail replica for the 1962 film “Mutiny on the Bounty”. -Examiner.com

A few full-sale wars are below. Maybe one where both sides fully buy in? I suspect a typo more than an eggcorn here.

That’s never been put to the test in a full sale war between nuclear powers. -Mixed Martial Arts Forum

Suggestions in that domain range from one of a full-sale war of civilizations to Hamas’s attempt at breaking the Israeli quarantine that has dealt serious blows to the movement’s numerous business interests in Gaza. -Gatestone Institute

#2 2013-02-22 15:26:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Full-sail replica

Almost certainly some blending from wholesale going on:

That’s wholescale robbery!

i want to buy whole scale material.

wholescale imported clothes rejected by a factory

The wholescale mass privatisation of a service is rarely needed, but

(I note that the first listed perp in my database is yours truly, and I’ve done it repeatedly. I did know better, at some level!)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2013-02-22 16:22:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Rumbled again! (#394) . Even by myself . You’d think I’d learn!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2013-02-22 17:09:49

David Bird
Eggcornista

All the full sail hits are good ones, fp.

Speaking for myself, as an eggcornista, I’m aware I’m working at fool scale. There are several fool scale hits that look convincing, and when they are, the result is a striking reanalysis, if that’s what it is. Contrary evidence is provided by those folks who are delighted to be riding on a fool tank of gas, unfortunately.

It really does look, at the point the telial horns emerge, as if it has travelled through space, intent on colonising a new world. It doesn’t just appear in isolated clumps either. Sometimes it looks like a fool scale invasion is underway.
One of those incredible sites that make it fun to hunt eggcorns

A fool scale restaurant will require a lot of equipment where as a pop store or mom’s kitchen will require lot fewer.
Well, clearly ESL

this was no party but a fool scale war
fanfic

Soon it seems like a fool scale conflict might break out between the natives, and the newcomers.
fanfic

#5 2013-02-27 19:50:33

fpberger
Eggcornista

Sorry, I almost included the Wholescale link, but then decided that full sail was my primary point and wasn’t really a full return on wholescale.

Board footer