Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-03-26 23:37:26

kem
Eggcornista

infeariority << inferiority

Oodles of hits for “infeariority,” both on its own and wrapped in the phrase infeariority complex. A few of the phrasal hits are puns about an infeariority complex being a phobia that one’s fears are not as deep as those of others, but the vast majority appear to be unpunned. It seems to me likely that at least some web users of “infearior” believe that the Teutonic “fear” and its semantics are embedded in the Latin-derived “inferiority.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2013-04-06 16:13:44

burred
Eggcornista

Re: infeariority << inferiority

Very nice. If it’s not intentional it may be subconscious. I of course wondered about its opposite, superior. I found the following, which are at homeopathic dilution on the web (part of my april nonce parade, I guess). I only submit these because if nothing else, the first is an interesting case of personal eye dialect.

OP: Grossman is a true loose cannon. His qb passer rating is like a yo-yo.
R: he did play for spearior in college keep that in mind..
Texas football board

although roughly 1 year later 1945 the nuklear weapon would be complete but I don’t like Hitler would have waited that long to gain air speariority and the luffwafa would have made a bombing extremly difficult.
WWII board

do earlier start enrollment times indicate speariority :?:
College enrolment board

Spear over sword every time.

Board footer